sub for $3500 or less

started this thread in the home theatre section, but maybe better suited for the speaker forum. just got a great tv and looking for the "super" sub...i'm only running 2 channel and the sub would be for movies...i'm very pleased with my system so far and believe that a bad a** sub is long over due...i very much enjoy movie night...budget is $3500 or less and would appreciate any advice from my fellow audiogon comrads... thanks, brent
128x128knollbrent
Your budget allows for many ideas, all very very hi-end. The Velo DD line, as mentioned above, is clearly an option. Also, mated with Velodyne's SMS-1 (ouitboard box that is used internally in the DD line, incredible bass EQ for $599, a must) I'd look at ACI Maestro, Axiom EP-600, Paradigm Servo Signature as well. The Maestro will rock your foundation, and mated with the SMS-1 will integrate like never before.

Good luck, have fun, and warn the neighbors (with beer).
Horseface,

Velodyne tech support claims that in an audiophile 2 CH application, the DD-15 and DD-18 sound faster & less distorted than the smaller 10" and 12" versions. Appparently the larger cones present an easier load to the plate amp. I'm using the 15" in a 2 CH application and am pleased with its performance and ease of setup. You can buy a used DD-15 or DD-18 for $2K-$3K.

Dave
i appreciate the advice fellas,but it looks like i'm gonna go against the grain...the gent that has helped with my amp, pre, and the piega's has a piega mk11, mint, for $2500. running 2 channel piega c-10 ltds and figure the piega sub would pair quite nicely...had i not gone this route, the velodyne seems to be a crowd favorite...thanks for your suggestions...gotta go warn the neighbors, brent
jl audio is releasing three home theater subs that will probably be top notch. i heard them at CES, but who can tell in a demo room. 2 of them are under 2500. if you can find a dealer, it would be worth a listen.

svs gives you a lot of sub for your money, but they can be really really big. my 1200 dollar one is the size of two dorm fridges stacked on their side.