sub for $3500 or less

started this thread in the home theatre section, but maybe better suited for the speaker forum. just got a great tv and looking for the "super" sub...i'm only running 2 channel and the sub would be for movies...i'm very pleased with my system so far and believe that a bad a** sub is long over due...i very much enjoy movie night...budget is $3500 or less and would appreciate any advice from my fellow audiogon comrads... thanks, brent
128x128knollbrent
i appreciate the advice fellas,but it looks like i'm gonna go against the grain...the gent that has helped with my amp, pre, and the piega's has a piega mk11, mint, for $2500. running 2 channel piega c-10 ltds and figure the piega sub would pair quite nicely...had i not gone this route, the velodyne seems to be a crowd favorite...thanks for your suggestions...gotta go warn the neighbors, brent
jl audio is releasing three home theater subs that will probably be top notch. i heard them at CES, but who can tell in a demo room. 2 of them are under 2500. if you can find a dealer, it would be worth a listen.

svs gives you a lot of sub for your money, but they can be really really big. my 1200 dollar one is the size of two dorm fridges stacked on their side.
I just don't understand anyone buying a sub today other that a Velodyne DD series. Okay, maybe some other sub, but mating it with the Velodyne SMS-1 or other room correction system should be a must.

Knollbrent, regardless of how good the Piega is, there is nothing in the Piega that is going to fix the bass peaks in your room from the Piega sub. And you will definitely have them!

I have a DD-12 in my 2 channel setup and I had always fought bass issues in my room. The digital room correction in the DD-12 has given me incredibly powerful and fast bass without any boom. It only took me about an hour and a half to use the room correction right out of the box. I couldn't believe the peaks in the curve when I first hooked up the DD-12. But the room correction software has given me a virtually flat response down to 22 hz. They have a free upgrade (I haven't bothered) that has an "automatic" correction mode which would make things even easier and quicker to use if one chose to use it.

I realize that there are many good subs available, but the ROOM can make even the best sub sound bad. I am sure the Peiga sub would be fine with your c-10 ltds, but believe me, you will never get out of the Piega sub what a DD series will do for you (unless you use a SMS-1 or other room correction.) Just my humble opinion.
That's my point...use an SMS-1 with any sub you get. It will add 3x to its value and performance in your system.
Ted