What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Alright I'll play. I don't have a great deal of experience with SET'S although I do own one, which I purchased to replace a Jolida 102a in a second system. I've paired it to a passive SMD pot....highly modified Klipsch Hersey and 2 M&k 150 subs. This system just plain works.....powerful and dynamic. It took a lot of tweaking to get the Heresy to sound as good as they do now. The amp is also a big part of the end result....as much as I was fond of the little Jolida....this simply blows it away.

The amp I'm referring to is a GTA SE40 with sonic craft upgrade plus other special tweaks....bee's wax caps...rhodium post and rca's...etc.

Any....best value to me is equal to price performance ratio. I paid 500 and put another 100 into it....and with that I think it is a contender.
Alright I'll play. I don't have a great deal of experience with SET'S although I do own one, which I purchase to replace a Jolida 102a in a second system. I've paired it to a passive SMD pot....highly modified Klipsch Hersey and 2 M&k 150 subs. This system just plain works.....powerful and dynamic. It took a lot of tweaking to get the Heresy to sound as good as they do now. The amp is also a big part of the end result....as much as I was fond of the little Jolida....this simply blows it away.

The amp I'm referring to is a GTA SE40 with sonic craft upgrade plus other special tweaks....bee's wax caps...rhodium post and rca...etc.

Any....best value to me is equal to price performance ratio. I paid 500 and put another 100 into it....and with that I think it is a contender.
Since I once owned the Golden Tube SE40 as well as Golden Tube's 300B model (both of which I liked a lot), I thought I'd chime in because yesterday I received delivery of the Coincident Dynamo 34SE previously discussed in this thread above. This is a ”used” unit that I purchased for $800. The Coincident currently sells for $1,299 new; and, I will say right now, without equivocation, that this amp is indeed, one of the best audio bargains of all time.

The model I received is configured differently than the factory standard. Instead of EL34s this unit has Gold Lion KT77s with about 250 hours on them. Also, the rectifier tube is a NOS Phillips 5R4GYS bought from Upscale Audio, instead of the normal rectifier 5UG or 5AR4 as recommended by the manufacturer. It also sports a pair of 6SL7GT from Shuguang that comes standard with the Coincident Dynamo34SE. In addition to the amps mentioned above I have owned Forte 4, RM10, McCormack DNA, Dynaco ST70, Rotel, various Cary among others and currently own Cary V12, Cary SEI300B and Primaluna Dialogue One.

The Coincident is special and it is an absolute bargain. Congratulations to Israel Blume, the designer, manufacturer and distributor.

I will write a review soon. But first I'm going to purchase SED Winged C EL 34s as well as Shuguang 6CA7 Black Treasure tubes. I will also seek out some NOS RCA Red Base 6SL7 to try. I already have Sylvania NOS 6SL7s. Costly NOS tubes, but this baby deserves them.

Brownsfan, how is it going with your unit? Will pm you.
Hi Mikirob,
Congratulations on acquiring the Coincident Dynamo amplifier, I'm sure it will contribute to making beautiful music in your home . I'll take the liberty of speaking for Brownsfan and say we both welcome you to the Coincident family.
Charles,