Definition of "too Hi-Fi"

On numerous occasions others have described a speaker (or other component) as sounding “too Hi-Fi.” What does this mean? Isn't that exactly the goal? Doesn't High Fidelity mean faithful to the original, i.e., sounds like live music, live instruments, or a fool the ear impression of “I'm there,” or “they're here?” It seems contradictory to criticize something for being too close to perfection. Maybe that's taking it too literally. So. . ,

What does “too Hi-Fi” mean to you?
ojgalli
For me, it suggests a component or speaker that is striking because of its resolution and detail, but that precisely because of those characteristics, imparts an unnatural, and thus undesirable, sound. Early vintage Wilson speakers, and Halcro and Spectral amps, are good examples (I'm not saying that these examples are "too fi-fi" -- each person's hearing is different -- but many people believe they are).
Basically, a component or speaker so analytical, so perfect, and so cold, that you can't enjoy the music. Fortunately, I never heard any such thing.
The air is thick with philosophy tonight!

I believe the term "hi-fi" is used ironically by audiophiles to describe sound that does not exhibit high fidelity to the original music. Then again, I'm something of a simpleton.
-Bob
All the above are good descriptions. I have used the term
"Hi-FI" recently in a post to describe some speakers, that I did not care for. I used the term "HI-FI" sounding as a way so say they highlighted certain aspects of the music in an artificial, or enhanced manner and in doing so called attention to themselves.

To paint a visual, think TV's at Best Buy. They have them adjusted to make real life look more bright colored and vivid than it actually is. Some audio compents do the same with sonics.
i have a slightly different take on the phrase. i think "too hi fi" means anything that sounds artifical or not resembling the sound of instruments.