Dunlavy for HT speakers

I'm currently running Snell C/V for fronts with a Snell XA55 center channel and Snell K.5II for rears. There's a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVA and also a single Dunlavy SC-1A/V up for auctoin currently. I listened to some Dunlavys a long time ago. I remember liking them, especially the Vs, but I can't really remember details on the IVA. I do like the Snells quite a bit. How much improvement will I see with the IVAs? The other question is about the center channel. I'm worried that may actually be a step backward. Anyone with experience with these two speaker brands have any thoughts? The rest of the equipment: Theta Carmen, Theta IIIA dac, Sunfire Ht processor, Adcom GFP750 preamp, Bryston amps, Rel Storm III sub, Synergistic Research interconnects, Tara Labs speaker cables. Thanks. -Dave
dbw1
I owned Dunlavy SC-III's for five years and my best hi-fi friend ran the huge SC-V's for three years, both of which are quite similar to the SC-IV/A's. The SC-IV/A's were (and remain) very competitive at their price point, but they were designed primarily for high-end two-channel music systems and not home theater where imaging is not important and bombastic dynamics are. SC-IV/A's will go pretty loud and quite low in the bass, but they are a time-coherent design that uses first-order crossovers in order to improve imaging and accuracy, and as such, are fundamentally ill-suited to home theater where bombastic dynamics can overstress drivers, especially drivers that are operating out of their passband in first-order designs like Dunlavy. Dunlavy tweeters are especially vulnerable to overdriving. Also as a result of being built for time coherence, the sweet spot with Dunlavy's is very small, meaning that people sitting around a room watching home theater are not hearing what the speaker can do.

You want something with fourth-order crossovers for home theater, like Revels Salons. I owned Salons and they can go incredibly loud if you have enough clean power. My dealer, who is very experienced and has carried a lot of different speaker brands over the years, set up a pair of Salons in a home theater installation in New Jersey that were powered by the big 1,200 watt/channel McIntosh monoblocks -- he said he has never heard a louder pair of speakers. Salons also have tons of really deep bass, so there is no need for a subwoofer unless you are running them in a gymnasium, and excellent off-axis dispersion (i.e., huge sweet spot), meaning that everyone in the room will hear what they can do.

I also note that I have another friend who ran the SC-I's. They are superb monitor speakers for the money and can sound great in two-channel systems if coupled with a really fast subwoofer, but again, they have a tiny sweetspot, no bass below 80 Hz. because they are sealed-box, and can't handle a lot of power -- they were designed for high-end two-channel music listening. While Dunlavy did sell an "A/V" shielded version for use in home theater, it was merely a nod to market realities, as there are 97 home theater speakers sold for every 3 two-channel speakers and speaker designers who ignore the home theater market perish. Dunlavy in fact went out of business because his designs were serious attempts at building extremely good two-channel speakers, i.e., time-coherence, which requires first-order crossovers and sealed-box woofer loading, the latter requiring gigantic, room-unfriendly boxes. Ever stand next to an SC-V, or God forbid, an SC-VI? They are ridiculous, but if you're listening in the sweet spot, they do a very credible job of simulating the sound of live, unamplified music.

If you have a high-end two-channel system featuring a good turntable, Dunlavy's are a very good option if you do not want to spend a ton of money. If you are trying to shake the foundation with stomping dinosaurs, however, there are more appropriate options.
I've never heard a pair of Snells, nor do I know anything about the specific models you have, so this is more of a comment on the Dunlavy's than a comparison between the two.

Raquel makes some very good points, though there are lots of reasons I want good sound in a HT application beyond the bombastic effects. Clarity of dialogue, reproduction of the soundtrack, spatial effects - there are many aspects of sound in a HT application that are important to me.

That said, I don't think I'd go for Dunlavy's for their HT suitability. They are very nice speakers, and very affordable used. I think there are many speakers that would work better for HT, and the Dunlavys are HUGE. I wouldn't want to have them in my room, or have to move them at some point, if they're just for HT.

If the system is used for both HT and music, then I might go for them, depending on the ratio. I've heard the SC-IV/a's and I have owned a pair of the Alethas. They are wonderful on music, and I could listen to either for a long time. They would suffice just fine for HT, but they would be great for music.

As Raquel said, if you're looking for the best choice for great, dedicated HT, there are more appropriate options.
This is a combo system, both 2-channel and HT. Both are important. I actually listen to music louder than movies, but more often both are at moderate volume. Both of your comments are helpful, thanks. I'm wondering how bit a step up the Dunlavys would be for stereo listening over the C/Vs. Are there better options in that same price range that would do well for both applications?