Speakers with imaging "Free of the box"

I am aware of several speakers that people say produce an image "free of the box": Green Mountain Audio Continuum, Ohm Acoustics Walsh, Reference 3a DiCapo.

What speakers have you heard that do this?
tvad
why is imaging so important ?

if the sound of an instrument is relatively free of timbral inaccuracy, what difference does it make if it seems to be projected from a speaker.

if you close your eyes or darken a room, it may be difficult to tell whether the music is coming from the speaker(s) or not.

by the way, does anyone use the term imaging, as applied to live music ?
Mr T, Why do you own two speakers and listen to music in stereo? Usn't that what stereo is all about? No? Then tell us why stereo was developed in the first place or do you just listen with one speaker.

Tvad - Dammed fine speakers you have there. I heard them driven by modest SS stuff. They were very impressive and they image as 'free of the box' as well as any speakers I've ever heard. Bought some Silverlines myself just to remind me why imaging is so important, along with all of the other things they can do better than my old Quads. :-)
Tvad,

Congrats on those Silverlines...did you replace the VR4 Gen III HSE or are you adding to your extensive collection?
At RMAF I heard something no other speaker or set-up ever did, soundstage was sideways wonderful, but it would project the voice (lets say) all the way up front to about an inch from your nose, I could not believe it I actually jumped on my seat when the voice was right in my face (in a good way) It was a show almost of almost circus quality, a friend was with me, he bought those speakers!
This was the Avantgarde room setup by the twins, wow!

Today we both have horns speakers and we are thinking about flying in these guys to help us set-up the speakers to achieve that.

All the Best
Congrats on those Silverlines...did you replace the VR4 Gen III HSE or are you adding to your extensive collection?
Shadorne (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

Extensive collection? I owned the VR4 Gen III HSE for four years, and just recently replaced them with the Sonata III when a pair of Castle Acoustics Howard S2 kept blowing woofer drivers.

Hardly an extensive collection.

if you close your eyes or darken a room, it may be difficult to tell whether the music is coming from the speaker(s) or not.

Mrtennis (Threads | Answers)

It may. Or it may not. If it's difficult to detect the loudspeakers, then they are doing their job, IMO...and they are doing an excellent job of imaging "free of the box".

That's my goal. it may not be yours.