Rel Studio Subwoofer

Anyone out there have any info on the Rel studio subwoofer? Can find info on the studio version II and III but not the original studio if there ever was one.The blue book only lists mkII and mkIII even sumiko lists the studio III as still available maybe was before sumiko bought Rel out.
heykay
Norton,there are many independent repair/modify places around,these days.Some quite dependable.Why not try some of these?
I do know a guy in NYC named Lewis Mansky,who is "expert" at much of this stuff.He could be of help,if you are nearby.He is very capable,and an extremely nice guy.I believe he is very reasonable in the stuff he does.
I have not spoken to him in a while,and only bump into him at trade shows these days,but you should be able to look him up,if you so desire.
Best.
Thanks Sirspeedy. I'm going to have a local repair place take a look at it but I'm not going to hold my breath. I may be using the cabinet for firewood this winter.
Also with the local "hi-fi" shop being a thing of the past there is no choice but to shop on line and take another chance with a different brand.
Supposed to be very similar in build/sound to the REL's of the previous generation (before the britania models)
Btw,Norton(or anyone else interested),though I can definitely sympathize with anyone going through equipment failure problems,we ALL go through this.We simply have to get used to the fact some stuff can have problems,at times.
I've had my share,and currently one of my dear audio pals had his mega expensive tube phonostage go Crakatoa!!He was NOT happy!
As to the REL issue...before Sumiko(always a seemingly fine outfit to do business with,from my perspective)acquired REL,these were made in England,I believe.I thoroughly researched my Stentor before purchase,and looked at many contenders.My desire was to have a superb unit to "perfectly" blend with my irreplacable,(and God I love these speakers) Avalon Ascent MK II's!!These speakers have amazing (lower mid bass on up) detail and natural timbres.They are amazingly coherent,and embarrass the vast majority of the "super imagers",in that area.Easily comparative to today's absolute best,regardless of price( as long as the room is not too big).They are a sealed box design,and are bullet fast( as in accurate).One hundred and ten pounds of external crossover.So a really good blend of "very low" frequencies HAD to be a "perfect" match for my main speaker.
This is about the REL,and not an ego piece,so I appologize if it seems otherwise!
My audio friends were adamantly against me getting any subwoofer(btw,EBM,who made a negative comment on this thread is one of them,and he NEVER owned a sub,and admits to commenting just to be a contrarian,but he's a very nice guy in general)!!
I had previously owned three different BIG Infinity speaker systems,of which two of them were four tower affairs,with HUGE bass output.I was NOT looking for this,but only wanted to underpin my main lower midbass,which currently blew away my Infinity,in detail.
I even looked at the HUGE Wilson subs,but the price was prohibitive,though not out of the question.
So the Stentor II was offered by my dealer,at a money back guarantee.I got a fair price of 3200 dollars.I NEVER asked for my money back,obviously,and although it took me an eon to get right,the blend is seamless.I only use a tiny amount of gain,and come in at 24hz,with a position two feet from back wall,and side wall,in my 22x 13 ft room.
My REL manual states..."This product will probably outlast the original owner"!I believe it!!....unless you like to blow the wall down,I guess.
As to the Sumiko asking price for repair(only an opinion,obviously)..I would assume the board in question is fairly complex(crossover/amp circuitry)and maybe hard to match with the "original" REL of England type.They may be forced to give you a new board,which at the 1,000 dollar asking price,may not be out of the norm.It's a judgement call,for you,I guess.
Best of luck
I bought the REL too because of everything I read on here and elsewhere that it would blend well with my speakers. I personally don't have enough patience to fiddle with all the settings and have limited placement opportunities because of the shape of the living room. Maybe that or something else but I never felt like that sub was worth what I paid for it so maybe that is why I am balking at their 1k+ price tag for a new amp. Well you live and learn and I sure wouldn't have bought it if I thought I couldn't get it repaired.
If the local shop can't repair it I'm back to square one as I can't live without a sub and I'm probably too stubborn to buy a "new'' board so the thing will probably just sit.
Thanks for your correspondence you seem like a very nice fellow.
Norton