Pros and Cons of built-in amps?

I would be interested in any experiences and opinions on speakers with built-in amps. There are some from well regarded companies like ATC and Genesis.
It would seem to me that running the source through a quality balanced cable directly to the speaker would be the way to go if possible. Thanks.
ranwal67
Yes these PMC's should be on your audition list - I would add the Genelec 8050A's too - a real bargain when you consider what you are getting for around $4500 new - I am impressed with their bass response - so much so that I could not believe that these small speakers were actually ported! Overall a very nice balanced articulate presentation (you can easily hear every detail in the recording but it is not torn apart as some studio gear is known to do). They also image like there is no tomorrow. The metal dome is not to my taste but many people love the clean crisp sound!
Try ATC 19s or 20s--really great speakers for the money--slay all the competitors in their price range. Like all British products, you will be hampered by the low dollar to Euro.
The PMC website is www.pmc-speakers.com. Meanwhile, try to pick up Hi-Fi+ Issue #30. The have several articles on active loudspeakers including separate reviews of the PMC AML 1's and the ATC Active 20. Then there is a separate article comparing the merits and shortcomings of both. This issue is indispensible if this is where your interest is. I hope this helps everyone.
Post removed