Is the B&W 600 series a good value?

Hey guys, I demoed the B&W 685's recently and I was very impressed. But it might be because I have little experience with other speakers.

This will be for a 10x12x8 room dedicated to my 2.0 setup. I'm on a budget and would like to keep the speakers under $1000. The

However, before I make a purchase... what's the general consensus on B&W speakers, particularly the 600 series. Could I do a lot better for my money by going with an internet-direct brand? Or are B&W speakers a good value?

Also, I know this may be "shallow" or not "audiophile-like", but I have to mention that aesthetics are very important to me... I do not want an ugly looking speaker, no matter how good it sounds. This is one reason B&W's attract my attention.

I know I should let my ears decide, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks
koven
hey ryder, i know there are ID brands that might give me more value... but i have not seen a bookshelf design that i like more than the 805's... most ID brands, while im sure they sound superb, look too plain for me

i do love the 685 sound and judging from your response, the 805N's would be a noticeable upgrade

my budget was set at <$1000, but this looks like a good deal considering they retailed at $2000+

seems to me it'd be worth it, he's actually local to me so i'm going to go take a look/listen

just curious as to how much power i'll need.. not sure if the 125WPC UPA-2 would be sufficient
Hi Koven, not familiar with UPA-2 but 125W would be more than sufficient for the 805. Anyway you can always use the Peachtree Decco to drive the 805(if you happen to end up with these) and hear the results for yourself before making any hasty decisions for another amp upgrade. I believe you would do fine at low to moderate volume levels.
thanks for the advice

in a few hours, i'm going over to the seller's house to take a listen..

so hopefully the next time i post (if all goes well), i'll have the 805's in hand :)
If you are drawn to the 805's, I would get them. Very little risk on your part at that price.

I like the Decco and have heard it power some nice Vienna Acoustics floor standers to moderate volumes without losing control. But I have heard similar amps under-drive the 805S and it was not very engaging, whereas an 80 wpc tube amp was heaven with the same speakers.

I like your idea of combining the Decco with the Emotiva amp to drive the 805's. I assume you have the Decco because you need the DAC? If not, I might suggest selling the Decco, passing on the Emotiva and getting the Cambridge 840A that is currently on sale on Audio Asylum to drive the 805's - a good value. Just a thought.
Knownothing: you've been very helpful, thank you

I ended up getting the 805N's, so they're sitting in their boxes right now waiting for stands

I also placed an order for the UPA-2 last night.. so the wait begins

Thanks for the suggestion on the 840A, but I do need the DAC because all of my music is on my PC.

Hopefully the UPA-2 will provide the extra power the 805N's need.