new Magico speakers the Q5

seen on their Website
clavil
What is the sonic advantage of using aluminum for the box?

Doesn't using metal of any kind rather than wood have an effect on the resulting sound? I would think it would impart a unique tone. Not necessarily better, but unique, which is not a bad thing. At these price points, you want a speaker to distinguish itself clearly from the competition.

When I heard Magicos, the upper midrange and top end is what I remember as having a distinct good sound. Just not sure if it was better, but definitely unique.

Avalons have a unique sound too when I heard them.

So do mbls.

It makes sense to me that speakers in this price range will seek to distinguish themselves sonically from teh pack somehow. That usually means no one will be everyones cup of tea. What's wrong with that? As long as people like them and have the $$$s to buy them, they will do fine I suppose.

I will not lose much sleep about not being able to afford any of them (at least until my kids are out of college perhaps) in any case.

Rtn1

Now we are getting somewhere. Reading your reply, I can't help buy noticing a deep personal resentment to "Mr. Wolf" AKA Magico. I assume you do not know him personally, so I wonder, what has he done to upset you so deeply? Perhaps pointing out to "real" issues loudspeaker, like the one you own, may have? Some that will question your judgment? You obviously did not like that. So what are the chances you would like a product he makes? Does sound has anything to do with it? I doubt it.
" let us not talk about big egos and thin skins".
Did you read your post before you posted it? If it is not about egos, what is it about?
BTW, you may want to read again, some of the material you are referring to. If you still do not understand the difference between a musical instrument enclosures and a loudspeaker one.
"What is the sonic advantage of using aluminum for the box?"

Mapman to answer your question...and I'm in agreement with you on the
Avalons and other speakers.

Cabinet panel resonances are a significant cause of sound coloration, if using
aluminum enclosure there is better elements of stiffness, mass, and
dampness compared to MDF enclosures with heavy bracing and the special
resin dampening glues. Accordingly, this allows the drivers to operate with
clarity and dynamics. Yeah but what does that mean when I'm listening to my
main man Steve Jordan playing his custom maple snare drum. Magico does
not use MDF, the V3 and mini II enclosures are one-inch layers of extremely
stiff, laminated, 17-ply Baltic birch plywood.

I do like the approach for enclosure system design but can you tell the sonic
difference when AB. Which is Aluminum and which is MDF? I think it is more
about the unique tone.

Metal snares and wood snares have two totally different resonance I don't
think one is better...it just depends on the style of the recording and type of
music that fits.
In the end, I'm pretty darn sure Magicos, Avalons, Tidals, Wilsons, etc. could be well-tuned into a listening environment and enjoyed.

Would we still be listening to the equipment ?

Would the performance sound close enough to give more than a vague illusion of the real thing ?

Would we come away impressed without fatigue ?

These are the questions I've been asking myself over the years of listening experience.

I guess it would be boring as hell if everyone here had the same
set-up, even if the sound was stellar ?

Happy Holidays !