Does a sub need to be on the floor?

I live on the top floor of a small apartment building.  A sub on the floor would be tough on my neighbors but no one lives above us.  Do people put subs on shelves? 

I don't listen to music all that loud.  Usually the loudest thing I listen to is TV/Entertainment.

And I'm not a huge bass head so I can't imagine ever even wanting a large sub.  Maybe a small 8" one.

I don't have new mains yet - I'm still shopping and so far and like the small bookshelf models (so far without subs) such as Sierra 2's.

Thx
wolfernyc
Quick answer, sure, just make sure it's not going to rattle the furniture.

But before you worry about that, look at the discussion about whether anyone needs more than an 8" woofer. :)

I think you are putting the carriage before the horse here. :) Get good main speakers and that may be all you need.

Integrating a sub is quite a bit of work.

Best,

Erik
Quick answer,,,absolutely not..Mines on a isolation riser,best thing I ever did for bottom end control
To slightly exaggerate - adding subs is a desperate move when all other solutions fail.

No but that’s where most are designed to be to work best.

You can place a sub on an Auralex Subdude platform or something similar to help isolate the sub from interacting with the floor. That usually results in cleaning up the sound with more articulation to the bass (ie better sound overall as a result). Many with neighbors below in particular use these.
Adding subs is the best thing you can do for your system. 

with a decent active crossover integration is easy. But an 8" sub probably will not go low enough. Get a bigger one and turn it down as needed. 

As as for your orginal question moving a sub off the ground and putting it on a stand will help the tone in a good way. Just like moving your speakers away from the walls. As always two are better then one