Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi John

the diagram in this link came from Bruce. the setup in that pic is mine.

Diagram - We have two vertical plates/walls, a roller in between and four horizontal bolts holding it together. It makes sense that all four horizontal bolts should be at the same gap for even operation. I have talked to Bruce before about the .02 to .06 range and it is a personal choice. I prefer firm .02 as I do not use the VTA a lot with my cart / preamp.

As we know going .06 is the gap opening extreme value - also the least firm action. So action on the lever is loosest/smooth. If the VTA is working properly and someone wants to literally VTA on the fly - as the record plays - looser is easier.

The Lyra cartridges sound a bit bright and lack bass at 47K. I hear a real improvement in freq response with lower values. My ARC ph-5 has values of 47K 1K, 500, 200, and 100 ohms. I use 100.

Those load values are true of the latest ARC Ph9 as well. 47k, 1k, 500, 200, 100.

My SP11 MKII uses values of 47k, 100, 30, 10, 3

It's been my personal experience that the phono circuit design into single load values, needs to be ultra low noise in design, to be able to use single digit values. I assume ARC chose higher values on their newer phono stages/ preamps designs due to the customer / cart requirements that exist today.

Regarding how your Lyra cart reacts to 47k. Maybe this is cart specific I don't know, don't own a Lyra cart.   

fwiw 

I can use 47k on MC's with no loss in frequency and if it is a brighter recording, the SP11 has adjustable Gain - I can dial it down a bit. Takes out the brightness. Get it right and I can get the band sounding like they are at the Mic. On regular records 100 loading works fine, and produces a good Studio like sound. I don't have a remote but the SP11 is parked at the side of me within reach.

Cheers Chris

Hello all,
Had recent email exchange with Bruce.  Told him rumor was he was considering a run of long I beams and if he was to please put me down for one.  He said he was thinking about it.  Maybe a little encouragement from us would help?

Re cartridge loading, I'm not at all disappointed with what I'm hearing but John kind of talked me into trying the 100 Ohm loading.  Going to give it a shot to see what I hear.  Cheap and easy tweak.

I think within certain limits cartridge loading is listener and recording dependent.  I listen to a lot of small combo jazz.  I want to be able to hear cymbals that sound like brass (not steel) shimmer and extend off into forever.  But when you spin up a trumpet like Miles, you don't want it ear piercing.

An example of recording dependent:. I really like the great sax players. I think Paul Desmond was one of the greats and own many of his records.  I read a story about Desmond years ago that said he had an obsession about not being able to hear the spit in his reed.  He insisted the recording engineers roll off his feed.  As a consequence I often raise VTA when listening to Desmond.  Even though his great RCA recordings with Jim Hall were extremely well done, you almost never hear the air across the reed like you do on a Ben Webster recording.

And as I mentioned earlier I believe, from a listening perspective VTA and subwoofer tuning are interrelated.  If you raise VTA for top end extension, if necessary, you can inch up the sub to fill in bass a little.  Can't get carried away or bass will get tubby but just a little can help with foundation.

Again, however, I think once you get your system well set up a lot of this boils down to listener preference.  

Cheers,
Harry

It's too bad that audiophiles abandoned bass, midrange, and treble controls in the interest of fidelity to the source. It's also too bad that many master recordings can stand a bit of tweaking. I liked my old Marantz receiver just fine for this, but someone talked me out of it!
John
Interesting comments on the subject of mc cartridge loading; especially from Ralph Karsten of Atma-Sphere and references to Jonathan Carr's feelings on the topic.  

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mc-cartridge-loading

In the context of my systems over time my experience with cartridge loading has been that most of the mc's that I have owned sounded "best" at 47K.  While lower values could tame possible excessive brightness or add fullness to the upper bass/lower midrange, these "benefits" were often accompanied by a loss of overall detail and linearity and a sense that dynamics were being supressed.  I found that I could ultimately achieve more satisfying sound by addressing the issue of brightness or lean bass (at 47K) elsewhere in my system or by changes in VTA and slightly higher VTF.  In fairness, my systems have tended to be fuller sounding than most, and I can understand how in the context of a leaner sounding system one might take the other approach.  

Harry, Paul Desmond had one of the most beautiful alto sounds ever; as you point out he was one of the greats.  His obsession with not wanting to hear the spit on his reed led him to say what is one of my favorite quotes in jazz.  When asked how he got that beautiful pure tone he replied that he wanted "... to sound like a dry martini".  I think that what he was asking for from the engineers was that they not let close micing alter his natural tone which did not normally have the sound of air and spit in it. Close micing will exaggerate any air or spit in the tone, so "rolling off his feed" would compensate for that exaggeration.  Ben Webster, on the other hand, used what is referred to as "subtone".  He didn't want the purity of tone that Desmond had and cultivated that breathy-with-spit tone.  Both great players.  Regards.
Hi frogman, I share with you the admiration for Paul Desmond. I play the alto myself and he has +/- my ideal sound on the instrument (within the limits of my abilities, and the recorded sound as you point out).
Loading MCs: Your line of thoughts reminds me of my experiments  with the Magnepan MG3 speakers with their superbly transparent, but often a bit glassy sounding tweeter. I started with the usual recommendation to put a "normal" resistor in series, but this was loosing much too much transparency (a noiseless back-ground with kind of a plentyful sea of lively information). Then I used parallelled  ERO Resista metal film resistors, but the effect was not much better. Then I replaced the HF-Litz feeding the ribbon with a thin solid core wire and had success with more transparency and less "noise" and brightness. Ultimately I developped an independent, three-wired new crossover (with soldering to the ribbons... :-) which somehow integrated the superior mid/high transparency of the two-way MG 2.5 (and MG 2.6) into the three-way-MG 3.
Before these changes I had the feeling that my Koetsu Black / VdH 1 needle (Gyger upgrade) was sounding "bright".
Removing the transparency obstacles, which created stress and brightness, allowed to retrieve the VdH1 stylus information without glassyness.
I am skeptical of loading as a cure for problems created elsewhere, it's not really working in that context, it's too much of a compensation game (for me). I loose too much, gain not much.
Besides: The direction of the resistor is as audible as that of cables, as is the brand and type of resistor (and the preparation of the wires and the soldering including the solder).
To attain an experimentally "clean lab table" for these kinds of comparisons, within the context of the ultimately almost always slightly sloppy way people generally do their comparisons, seems pretty optimistic to me.