Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
Just as an aside, and not meant to cause a flame up, being so hard and fast with how class D has to progress in certain areas in order to be considered decent doesn’t make much sense. The only class D set up that I’ve listened to for more than 30 minutes is the Audio Alchemy brand and it uses the older Hypex UcD version that Bruno says is inferior to what his latest NCore offerings.

I’ve heard both types and I’ll take the Audio Alchemy approach to his Mola-Mola approach, hands down. I’ve heard the Mola-Mola a few times, in different set ups, and it was always too polite, laid back, and seemed to lack dynamics. I know it’s all in the implementation and it seems that Peter Madnick knows his way around the Hypex unit, as well as lots of other ones since he’s been involved (without public credit) in the design and implementation of lots of other class D projects for other makes.

If I had the funds, I’d sell my Marantz Reference integrated and take a chance on the Audio Alchemy: it impressed me that much.

All the best,
Nonoise
Have a Dayton T120 amp.  Class D.  Replaced it with a Yamaha Receiver for now because I needed something that had more inputs and could also play nice with my Tuner.  Have read and can confirm that at least in the case of the Dayton amp, it creates so much noise with a tuner that it is useless for trying to use a tuner with it.

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so how did you get around it?  
You can get around it by using a properly designed and implemented class d amp like those from Hypex. Good class d is very hard to do. Many poor quality products out there that do no favors to class d....

I have compared amps side by side with older Hypex Ucd and Hypex NC500 and I could not discern any major audible differences. As others have pointed out, It's all in the design implementation and most importantly the power supply.

To 'kuribo' point, I would stay away from any Class D amps that uses off the shelf parts like those DIY kits (NC400) amps being sold from $500 and up. IMO, they do not represent the very best Class D has to offer. They may be the best bang for the buck but certainly not what I call tip of the iceberg. 

I know a close friend of mine recently switched from a NC400 mono amps to Mola Mola's and he swear by Kaluga's excellent sound. 
So I know people are used to me laughing at most 1980’s attitudes about Class D. However, the reality is that some Class D can emit a lot of RF noise, I think Putzeys writes somewhere that it can actually cause cross-interference if two Class D amps are too close together.

Will, it’s worth investigating HOW that interference is happening. It could be via the case, power or interconnects. If in the interconnects, or power cord, using snap-on ferrite donuts can tame it.

Something like this could be useful, but check the inner diameter:

http://amzn.to/2sGdR49

Worth trying on the tuner's AC cord as well.

Best,

E