Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
So I know people are used to me laughing at most 1980’s attitudes about Class D. However, the reality is that some Class D can emit a lot of RF noise, I think Putzeys writes somewhere that it can actually cause cross-interference if two Class D amps are too close together.

Will, it’s worth investigating HOW that interference is happening. It could be via the case, power or interconnects. If in the interconnects, or power cord, using snap-on ferrite donuts can tame it.

Something like this could be useful, but check the inner diameter:

http://amzn.to/2sGdR49

Worth trying on the tuner's AC cord as well.

Best,

E

Hi will62, I have experienced some RF leaks out of older class D amps  based on ICEpower 1000ASP modules. I am talking about amps in production until 2010 or so. Typically, an FM tuner picked up hash unless it was some two feet away from the amp. 

By contrast, well designed amps based on Hypex NCore technology like Merrill Veritas or my own Rowland M925  do not leak at all... Not that you would want to do it, but if you had no better logical placement, you can sit an FM tuner on top on an NCORE amp with zero side-effects... Yes, I speak by experience.

Please note that I have no idea about RF leaks from the current generation of ICEpower amplifiers.

G.

Guido

Perhaps I can buy some IC's that are six feet long and put the Tuner several feet from the Dayton to see if that solves the problem.  

Not sure what is causing the issue.  My cassette deck plays just fine with it.  Noted the instruction manual for some of these Class D integrated amps mentions that Tuners and Cassette players may have shielding problems from the noise coming out of the amp itself.  May be a design issue with the cheaper Class D amps.