Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
@georgehifi 

"The only current crop of D’s I’ve heard that have semi impressed, were the new Belcanto Ref 600M Monoblocks, yes they use the the newest "best" N-force NC500 modules that aren’t available to anyone but to Belcanto and other manufacturers"

You should get your facts right. It's not N-Force, it's NCore NC-500 Hypex Module. And there is no modification to NC-500 module itself. Inside REF600 there are three circuit boards: a Hypex NC500 amplifier, a Hypex SMPS1200 power supply, and Bel Canto's input conditioning board with their Impedance Optimized Input Stage, for balanced, high common-mode rejection and to provide a low output impedance to the input of the amplifier board. The active element on the board is an LME49720 Dual High-Performance Audio op-amp in what appears to be a low-pass filter configuration. 

"The only current crop of D's you heard is REF600"  -  Are you always been this short sighted that after listening to one class D amp, you see fit to under appreciate or rather condemn the recent innovations and forward progress in Class D camp. 

I wonder how many Class A/B amps you auditioned before settling with the one you currently own? And is that the 'best" Class A/B amp made in the world?

If you seek the "best" in Class D currently available, I double dare you to audition Jeff Rowland's 925/725, Mola Mola's Kaluga and Merrill Audio's Veritas before you return to another Class D thread. 

As one of the reviewer pointed out, "the REF600M didn't sound identical to some other amps was neither surprising nor a criticism of any of them. Of three recent amps of my experience, the REF600M was the warmest, the NAD Masters Series M22 the most detailed, and the Theta Dreadnaught D somewhere in between. Why should various amps based on circuit boards of the same technology (NCore) and made by the same company (Hypex) sound different? I don't know, but the amplifier boards aside, I could see physical differences inside these three amps. The big Theta uses a big linear power supply or two, while the more compact Bel Canto and NAD use a Hypex SMPS. Theta and NAD use the input circuit on the NCore amp board, while Bel Canto supplements it with a proprietary circuit"
Nord is making nc500 based amps with a user selectable and user changeable input buffer to "tune" the sound to one's personal preference. It has been getting great reviews and is offered at extremely low prices given the performance. It can be made to sound any way the user prefers....

Post removed 

You are right @stfoth, some 10 years ago, most class D amplifiers that I listen to sounded either hi-fiish -- like a Technics stereo of the early 1980s, or darkling, or hazy, or even outright screetchy... Yet, even some 10 years ago, some class D amps were already making real music... I fell totally in love and adopted one of the few class D amps which made real music without compromises: The Rowland M312 stereo.

Today the class D field is very different. While you might still find the occasional screetch owl out there, most class D amps seem to be making real music, and more than a few are exceptional music makers. In general, you cannot go wrong with amps based on NCore NC1200 or Pascal M-Pro2 modules.

George, Bel Canto M600 is a relatively entry level monoblock amp. Using the scaled down NC500 NCore module, They were conceived to fulfill price point of a price sensitive segment of the market. At $5K/pair, They are not an attempt to scale the summit of absolute performance levels of amps based on the full NC1200 modules or Pascal M-Pro2 and X-Pro2 modules.

Hi Lalitk, the Rowland M725 monos are based on a class A/B topology. You might have meant the M825 stereo instead, which like M925, sports NC1200 modules.

Regards, G.