What sounds best: Vinyl or CDs

My system in an introductory level of high end music reproduction, I realize.  I like music, not so much gadgetry so I am content, although I keep tweeking from time to time trying to get better sound.  Martin Logan ESL mains, Def. Tech 800 subs (2),  NAD C375BEE Int. Amp, Project Debut Carton turntable w/Ortofon Red cartridge, Yamaha S300 CD player (with a Rega Apollo R player on order),  Niagara 1000 power conditioner. My question/concern is this:  My CDs sound Sooo much better than my vinyl albums.  My vinyl collection is substantial, from the '60s through the '80s, with all in great condition.  But on my system CDs are more volume sensitive, with more dynamics and depth.  Is this normal or am I missing something in my system?  I had originally thought, "Oh well, they are 40+ years old with 40+ year old recording technology".  But is there more? I have even gone to point of buying the CD if there is a particular vinyl I want to listen to frequently.  Comments?
128x128chipito
The point is not how it sounds but how your body reacts to it.
 I've been a serious listener of classical music for over 60 years and during that time have owned about 6K lp's and 3K  CD's .

Long ago I noticed my shoulder area would tighten up after a CD or two
whilst I could listen to LP's for 8 hours straight and remain loose and relaxed . 
Your brain/ body knows whats right and what's not .
Listen to it .
@mikelavigne

I am not a classically trained musician so I really enjoy the narrative that Zander includes on some of his Mahler interpretations. He talks a bit about fourths, fifths and diminished and augmented chords. As a drummer (non musician LOL), I found this very accessible and helpful and it has encouraged me to pursue interval training....maybe there is hope for me to actually understand music in a deeper sense (as to how it is constructed (like a cathedral) rather than just simply enjoy it at a superficial level....)
Thanks for the many meaningful responses.  Yes, this is a very personal and subjective sport with unlimited ($$) variables.  I have, however, decided to add a separate phono preamp, with gain and adjustments to the mix, hoping to bring the vinyl experience up to something more pleasing, in my ears anyway.  At least that is where I will start.

another Mahler sighting.....

last night I was absolutely enjoying (under the spell of) the 2012 192khz/24 bit recording of a Chamber ensemble version of Mahler#4, Trevor Pinnock conducting the Royal Academy of Music Soloist’s Ensemble. I’m not a Mahler or Classical expert, but this one really hits the spot. all the little nuance things that vinyl does are here and it’s all so physically easy on my senses, natural and super intimate and involving. the tone and textures are intoxicating. the room is alive with realism and delight. reach out and touch it holographic presentation.....at least here in the barn.

along with the intimate and subtle are the big macro moments. overall a Chamber Music scale, but moments of shock and awe too.

is this digital? vinyl? it’s certainly something.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...onie-no-4.aspx

the Select II/SGM delivers again.....and again. it seems this combo is made for my system. it transcends the concept of formats and just does music.

For me it's about the recording and how it's done. Iggy Pops Brick by Brick on cd sounds better than my original import vinyl because the guitar mix on the vinyl hides the guitar. Same with Pat Benatars Crimes of Passion,the cd is clearer than the vinyl which sounds muddled and  murkey.
I have vinyl which clearly sounds better than their cd counterparts. Like I said depends on how the recording was done.