Good Bass Recordings on CD for Subwoofer Testing

After reading Vade Forrester's excellent review of the Syzygy SLF870 Subwoofer in The Absolute Sound Issue 275 I've decided to try one.

My Magnepan 1.7i loudspeakers, even with a DWM Bass Panel, have always been a bit bass-shy. The SLF870 seemed like it might be a good addition. Amazon sells them, so I figured if it doesn't integrate well with the Magnepans I can always just return it.

The subwoofer arrives this coming Thursday. In the interim I'd like to find some good CD recordings for tests.

I'm looking for recommendations.

I listen primarily to classic rock and some classical, no jazz or hip-hop or metal though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's my current system configuration:

Magnepan 1.7i Loudspeakers with one DWM Bass Panel
Audio Research SP14 | Audio Research 300.2
Rega Planar 3 w/ RB 330 | Ortofon 2M Blue
Rega Apollo CD | Cambridge CXN Network Player | CXC Transport
Rotel 870 AM/FM Stereo Tuner | Terk FM-50 Powered Antenna
Pioneer RT-1050 Reel-to-Reel | Nakamichi 600

Thanks

-gb-

128x128gregorybraun
As Swingreen says, for classical use the Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony.  But not any recording.  The RCA Living Series recording with Munch/Boston Symphony includes very clean and smooth bass, right down to the 16HZ bass notes.   Some organ records may also help, although many don't go that low.

Electronic bass varies all over the place.  There is no "accurate" sound, since this varies with how it is recorded/integrated.  For acoustic bass, a Telarc SACD recording called "SuperBass" features three well known and highly accomplished bassists playing jazz in an unusual arrangement and can serve well to demonstrate lower acoustic bass.
Try listening to Let My Love Open The Door (E. Cola Mix) from 
The Best Of Pete Townshend: Coolwalkingsmoothtalkingstraightsmokingfirestoking

Best and most powerful bass I've heard (with the right speakers and associated equipment) 

Took me by surprise when I really paid attention to what's going on.
Also would be curious to other opinions on this one, kinda kept it to myself until now :)

Good luck 

Pink Floyd- DSOTM and The Wall
The Police- any titles in catalog
The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper

Second "Morph the Cat" (astounding for demo of entire bass range...not just extension, but explosive dynamics).

2 others that also have a ton of bass:

-- Little Roy, "Battle in Seattle," extremely well recorded & produced reggae covers of Kurt Cobain tunes. Easily my favorite versions of these tunes, and very implactful throughout the bass range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJD7JqtO-bo

-- Fats Waller tunes played on a very good theater organ (not a vintage recording): "Fats at the Organ." Some of the lowest notes will shake your house & possessions. But best of all, the music is swinging and wonderful, in the best Fats Waller manner.

https://www.amazon.com/Fats-at-Organ-Waller/dp/B000001HF3

I have both recordings. If you can't find them, I could help.