Why does unplugging/replugging TT leads from tube phono pre-amp reset dead channel?

I have a BAT VK P-10SE with Superpak.  Tubed phono preamp.  When one of the channels drops out (it actually is out when the system powers up), I used to go nuts trying to figure out which tube needed replacing.  I have learned, after much frustration, that simply unplugging the lead from the Turntable - and plugging it back in - solves the problem.  Sometimes it's the left channel.  Sometimes the right.  And if I leave the system on with no music playing for a while, on occasion a channel will drop out.  I have asked at several stereo shops...no one know why this works.  Or what the real underlying cause of the problem is.  When it works...it sounds great.  No indication of a tube issue.  And the cartridge - Shelter 901 - sounds great, too.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks.

Joe
128x128jmfawdofile
Layniesdad83, thanks, but both the description and the manual of the VK P-10SE, as well as various rear panel photos that can be found online, indicate that it provides RCA as well as XLR inputs.  And the manual states the following in bold-face type:
When connecting your cartridge to the VK-P10SE RCA inputs, it is necessary to install the supplied shorting plugs into the unused XLR inputs.
Regards,
-- Al

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Linn LP12. Only one set of RCA leads. Can’t remove them.

Al- I’ve had the unit for years. This is a new issue...I think...perhaps since the upgrade to the Superpak. BAT can’t replicate the issue.

1- I have the shorting plugs.
2- not sure on the loading...it was set when the cartridge was put in years ago.
3- no sounds...no clicks....It just gets quiet. I can listen for hours before that happens.
4- " When it powers up, it will not be working." That is after the initial mute has concluded it’s cycle. I wait. I hear the click that it’s on. I get music on one channel and I hear nothing in the other channel. I just pull the dead lead, put it back. I’m good to go.

Think it’s a grounding issue? It switches from one side to the other randomly. Does that info help? Thanks everyone.
Thanks for the additional info.  It doesn't sound like a grounding issue, as there's no hum involved.

If by any chance you have a multimeter, it might be helpful if you could perform the following experiment:  Remove one of the XLR shorting plugs.  On that plug, measure the resistances between pins 1 and 2; between pins 1 and 3; and between pins 2 and 3.

Depending on whether all three pins are shorted together, or just pins 1 and 3 (or possibly 1 and 2) are shorted together, or if there is some significant resistance between the pins, I might have some further ideas.  Such as perhaps trying the XLR inputs using RCA-to-XLR adapters.

If you don't have a multimeter, you might ask BAT if using an adapter, such as this one, would be ok.  Like most such adapters, it connects XLR pins 1 and 3 and the RCA ground shell together, while connecting the RCA center pin to XLR pin 2.

Good luck.  Regards,
-- Al

Hi Al,
OK...here is what has happened since your post:
 - I own the adaptors you suggested...supplied by David Lewis Audio upon sale.  They have been un-used out of a concern that it would degrade the sound.  But you provided reason to use them.  (FWIW -  I did not do the tests you suggested.  Is there need for that still?  I do not want to overlook anything....)
- I inserted the adaptors prior to powering up...and both channels worked!
- I listened to a few albums...and then the right channel dropped out...
- Without muting anything...I unplugged the right channel from the balanced adaptors and immediately plugged it back in..and the channel came back!
- and I took a swig of gin...b/c I was stymied!!!  HELP@@!!!