HI-FI NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

I am new to the higher end of music listening, actually I haven’t started the listening part yet. I have just purchased an Emotiva XSP-1 pre and a pair of Magnepan 1.7i’s. My listening room is 14x14 but one wall is not closed off completely and there is an additional open space connected that is 8x9. My budget has been unexpectedly diminished more by having to buy new connectors and speakers cables. I just assumed I would be able to use my old RCA connectors and my 50’ spool of speaker wire I bought from Radio Shack 25 years ago. I will pause while you laugh....Anyway, the jist of it is is that I’ve got $2500 left for an amp. I need advice on what would be good for my setup? What would last the next 25 years, as I am a poor man with expensive tastes and will probably not be able to make any further upgrades. Would something used and older be out of date technically in 10-15 years? Could I consider something new that would be adequate for that price point? Should I go mono or two channel? Thank you for your consideration and reply.
widespreadpanic
@chrisoshea 
yeah that’s the idea, I just want the best sound quality for what I can spend. I’m posting on several sights and reading every reply to decide based on those who are more knowledgeable than me about audio.
Now if you walk in to my second home, the local pool hall, and want to learn about the nuances of shooting pool I’m your guy. I’ve been shooting seriously for over 20 years. I can tell you the differences in quality and play of all things involved; tables, balls, sticks, cue shafts, cue stick tips, ferrules, chalk and cloth. That’s just the equipment.
 I’m a novice and may not even be able to discern the difference in a higher fidelity system. Just as you may not be able to tell the difference in the skill level of two pool players who to you may be both “great players and better than I will ever be.” I would be able to show why this player is more skillful than the other. But someday you may become better and then even good at pool and would be able to also critique and discuss players’ abilities just as I may be able to identify good audio equipment and discuss why it is so. So if that happens I don’t want to realize that I purchased the lesser quality product even though there was a better quality product for the same price point.  

OP:

So if that happens I don’t want to realize that I purchased the lesser quality product even though there was a better quality product for the same price point.

This is where it gets very tricky, because it is quite subjective. Depends on you. 
   I envy you your love for, and expertise in, playing pool.  Many years ago I often earned myself a few beers when playing in the local bars of my college town.  :)  However, I want to point out that your analogies are not exactly parallel.  When playing pool, even though your technique and strategies might be varied, your goal is quite straightforward.  You need to sink the balls you've called into their pockets.  Quite objective.  However, when assembling an audio system, your goal (as David pointed out) is very subjective.  For example, I tend to listen to a lot of acoustic roots music (blues, folk, bluegrass) and I like a relatively "forward" and intimate sound while maintaining a nice amount of "air" around images.  Many of my classical music loving audiophile friends like a much more "removed" sense, as though they're somewhat well back in a symphony hall with good acoustics. So, my perfect sound is quite a bit different than theirs.  Find your own sound and move toward it....
    As far as actually hearing a difference in sound between components, you will unless you have some kinda substantial physical hearing loss.  Many a time an acquaintance of mine has sat in my listening room for the first time saying that they really don't have "good" ears and that they probably won't hear much difference from their car radio, etc.  Within a few tunes, their eyes have widened and they are expressing the various aspects of sound that they've never heard before sitting at home or in their cars.  It's not a particularly special skill.  It's just something to enjoy!

Let me put this analytically. I would like to enjoy a system that, at the highest volume I normally listen, gives the clearest music possible.

If you mean uber resolution and analytical sound at high volumes, then pro-audio / pro-audio leaning gear. PMC Active monitors, for example, driven by pro gear.