Recommendations for 1000

I need better audio for my home. I am using my computer to play music with a sound blaster X-fi card with Optical out and in and every other basic output. It is hooked up to a projector and is often used for dvds. I'm uncertain whether i should get 5.1 or stay two channel. I have a budget of 1k and need speakers and a receiver or amp. I am willing to buy receiver and 2 speakers now and add later if I must. I need some recommendation. I was leaning towards 2 floor stand klipsch and their 12 inch subwoofer. Thanks.
cwaigy
need to know more about the room, listening habits, volume level, how many viewers/listeners, acoustics, etc, etc, etc.
Alright thanks everyone, I'm still debating what I'm going to do. I'm going to check out birch pricing and see if I can figure out a way to power these speakers if I make them since I will need a decent amount of power. Also need to research crossovers and decide if I want to try the ribbon tweeters. I somehow have a feeling I may end up with the rb-61s.
Considering your budget, the size of your room, and your desire for strong bass out put, I think your idea of using Klipsch' is a very good one indeed. While their sound isn't my cup of tea, they can be very affordable to power.