Recommendations for 1000

I need better audio for my home. I am using my computer to play music with a sound blaster X-fi card with Optical out and in and every other basic output. It is hooked up to a projector and is often used for dvds. I'm uncertain whether i should get 5.1 or stay two channel. I have a budget of 1k and need speakers and a receiver or amp. I am willing to buy receiver and 2 speakers now and add later if I must. I need some recommendation. I was leaning towards 2 floor stand klipsch and their 12 inch subwoofer. Thanks.
cwaigy
Alright thanks everyone, I'm still debating what I'm going to do. I'm going to check out birch pricing and see if I can figure out a way to power these speakers if I make them since I will need a decent amount of power. Also need to research crossovers and decide if I want to try the ribbon tweeters. I somehow have a feeling I may end up with the rb-61s.
Considering your budget, the size of your room, and your desire for strong bass out put, I think your idea of using Klipsch' is a very good one indeed. While their sound isn't my cup of tea, they can be very affordable to power.