Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
Ag insider logo xs@2xphil0618
Thanks Terry.
@terry9 

I've already started to make slight mods...

Backed off the chemicals - basically cut everything in half.
Ordered Versaclean
Only cleaning 4 records at a time instead of 6
Not sure if my machine will be able to get temp up to 45C with the lid off, but I will give it a go.

I also took a closer look at the water / solution and I can see from certain angles that there is more going on than I imagine.  There are things suspended in the water - not just the particulate that I see at the bottom of the tank.  I think this means either more frequent cleanings of the water or that I should get a pump.

Not sure that I want to take on the heroic rinsing right now, but perhaps going forward I will spot clean/rinse some of my favorites as an experiment.

And thanks for the tip regarding VersaClean on my stemware.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil, I should have mentioned that when you clean hotter, you should cool the records as uniformly as possible. That's easy by spinning in a distilled water bath.

@terry9 
Thanks Terry, that's not something I would have thought about.  As I said, I'm having a hard time getting my tank above 35c so I don't think it's much of an issue now, but if I get a different tank at some point in the future it could be.
All this is really interesting, thanks so much.
Now, this is a budget question:
I buy new and used records, very often I get them from the thrift store or the bargain bin as I am really open about my compulsive money spending habits. Records from the latter source are usually somewhere between bad and really bad shape. I pass all my records through the Spin Clean machine, which makes a great job for most of the records but some of them seem to be really irrecuperable as they will keep on making really much crackling noise even when they show no visible signs of damage (there's the other way around as well, some records look damaged but they still manage to provide an acceptable sound quality). I ultimately tried the method from this guy:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cleaning-Vinyl-Records/

... To very little improvement to be honest.

Now my budget question is: should I give a go to the ultrasonic cleaner? Or would I be better off upgrading my records that are too damaged, considering that I would probably end up spending approximately the same amount of money? And again, I am not looking for sound perfection but I am feeling somehow Samaritan and want to save these records and am looking for a bearable listening experience.

Your opinion is highly appreciated!

Have a great day.

Alf
I think that an examination of this thread will show you a better way. IMO, US is the best way.

I have a record of 60's folk music that looks terrible, grade about 'Good', but that plays NM. That said, I also have a sealed Chopin which is unlistenable, and no US treatment, 40KHz or 80KHz, improves it. US or not? I would say, definitely. But don't expect miracles, and be sure that the machine will meet its specifications: frequency and power.