Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
Ag insider logo xs@2xphil0618
I put on Keb Mo "S/T" over the weekend. I've since been working on it. It's the Pure Pleasure version.

Prior to my "working on it" it was 'ticky' most of the way through.

It is now,  not 'ticky' at all.

My experience with Pure Pleasure is inconsistent quality in pressing quality and SQ. With some love, The Keb Mo is outstanding!

Another vote for cleaning records...and sometimes recleaning them!
@slaw 

Yes, unfortunately I have experienced this too. What I have done is this:
1. reduce temperature to 45C (as you have done)
2. keep o-rings out of the bath
3. remove records promptly
4. pry records loose from the o-rings by holding at the edge of the record, twisting slightly to hook the spacer on the metal rod, and pushing  (while praying)
5. and eventually replace the o-rings. The good folks at Vinyl Stack will supply.

You have stimulated me to reconsider this, though. I wonder if an isopropanol wipe would help? Or, as you suggest, chemical resistant o-rings?

I expect to be doing more US cleaning next weekend - let's share results on this.
@terry9 

I contacted McMaster-Carr with my (specific) issue with really no valid response. Actually, it seemed to be a response directed at their stock, and  I'd hopefully buy something.....

I've broken two lps recently that were on the VS overnight. These were 120gr/older lps that I thankfully have replacements for.

I'm glad to be reporting this to others before they have a more substantial issue, than I.
@slaw

Further to the sticky o-ring problem:

Washed until the rings were sticky, about 3 or 4 cycles of 20 minutes at 45C. Then
1. Wiped rings with isopropanol - worse.
2. Dusted and rubbed rings with charcoal powder - better. But it made a heck of a mess, looked as if I had been fingerprinted.

Thing about charcoal is that it’s pretty inert, and a superb dry lubricant. I used medical charcoal from a capsule, maybe a quarter of a capsule for the 4 spacers of the vinyl stack. No obvious charcoal residue on records or labels.

Would not use talc.
Someone wanted this chart a page back...
https://myucsystem.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/effectiveness-of-particle-removal-relative-to-frequen...
The chart shows cleaning effectiveness versus particle size by ultrasonic frequency. From this chart, it would appear that 80kHz is an ideal frequency, while 120kHz is likely close.