who makes a decent center channel speaker?

thinking of going vandersteen...any others come to mind?
128x128phasecorrect
Unfortunately, the construction of the vast majority speakers is faulty BY INTENT as they cater to aesthetics and convenience rather than performance.

I quite agree.
If you are trying to match R&L's that either don't have a center or the center is too much $$$, contact speakercity.com Tell them what you have and they may be able to build you something voiced very closely, even using the same drivers. They did this for my Coincident speakers before there was a center available. It was fairly cheap too.
Elevick:
If you are trying to match R&L's that either don't have a center or the center is too much $$$, contact speakercity.com Tell them what you have and they may be able to build you something voiced very closely, even using the same drivers. They did this for my Coincident speakers before there was a center available. It was fairly cheap too.
Sure. ;-)
Do you really think they can clone any decent speaker you send them? I am very skeptical.

Kal
Markphd.....great post.
In a perfect world we would all have same brand center speakers and even same model but its not a perfect world and there are space, money, wife and others issues that get in the way..........Mark is dead on and dont be afraid to get what you can, if you are careful it wil work great.
Now back to something useful for you, the Vandersteen VC5 is a FANTASTIC speaker (my dad owns one) and while the other Vandersteen center offerings are good the 5 is very good.