DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj

taras22,

I changed my mind and would now agree it was not a complete waste of time. I, accidentally, found an interesting lecture by that same Dr. West about respiration at the limit. You may not be interested in it, but your partner may. There are some results from actual respiratory measurements on Mount Everest. It is very informative and thought-provoking. On the other hand, she may be familiar with that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRN124iuqZ8&list=PLE69608EC343F5691&index=14

I also googled "gobbledygook", the word I had never encountered before. The first definition that shows up (I did not dig deeper, I admit) puts it as "excessive use of abstruse technical terms". I read my earlier post again and found maybe three, let’s say four, terms that are not simple English words and I used them sparingly (each one once, except V/Q maybe twice). V/Q, pCO2, FiO2, brainstem. Although they are not your everyday grocery store language, they are as basic and well-known in anything that even remotely discusses breathing. They are far from being complicated or abstruse, much less used excessively. I have a hard time accepting that anyone familiar with these issues finds them too technical. Not to clog this thread, but is there a way your partner could point out parts in that earlier post that she found incorrect or objectionable? I would really appreciate it as I would like to improve my understanding of things and would surely enjoy finding out I was wrong and learning how. I am not sure how to do it outside of this thread, though.

As far as painting goes, I was not thinking deep enough to dissect painters into categories, but it does seem reasonable. In my mind it was not some famous painter, but pretty much your average neighbor, so to say. My point was that for painting you do need to put an effort into learning, even if it is just how to hold the brush, and it will altogether require a lots of practice and muscle coordination (throwing-paint on-the-canvas-from-the-distance kind of paintings do not qualify for this purpose) while hearing is inborn. Now, I am not sure I can fully agree with those differences between hearing and listening, but I can see room for a reasonable debate there.

taras22,

I am not sure what affidavit she was talking about, but it seems that it makes two of us. When it comes to math, there are lots of equations and calculations that could be involved, should one wanted to dig deeper into pressures and physiology, but that does become too technical and I never considered mentioning it. It helps understanding, but it gets complicated, too. Definitely does not end up in "plain English".

As I said, that gobbledygook was, indeed, simplified to extremes and in as plain of English as it could ever get. Now, when I think about it, maybe it was too simple for her usual approach.
glupson said,

”I also googled "gobbledygook", the word I had never encountered before.”

>>>>>That in itself is cause for worry, perhaps even doubt. Could it be a cultural or language thing. No wonder glupson oft appears to be a clean slate. Maybe I’ve been unfair. Oh, yeah, I forgot, you’re Scandinavian. Factoid of the day: All Scandinavian countries are very high up the list of World’s happiest.
Must be a cultural/language thingee cause the math joke went seriously pear-shaped and may have landed in another solar system.
My point about listening remains accurate...I'm a professional listener as a live sound mixer and musician, which doesn't mean I have better hearing, it simply means that after decades of experience I know how and what to listen for. Not everybody can do this (or they haven't tried), which is good for me I suppose since I'm paid well for this stuff...a hifi geek who participates in "active" listening, meaning they spend the time to really focus their attention on music, develops a strong sense of what's right from the accumulated listening experience and simply messing around with the gear to produce personally quantifiable differences. That experience, tempered by personal taste, is what gives people expertise and separates them from the more casual listener...or another human with ears.