Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
The Jean Guillou rendition of Pictures at an Exhibition on Dorian CD is the recording I have that seems to plunge the depths the most and is the one I use for testing low end extension specifically.

Not sure how low it goes exactly in that I have never measured, but it goes the lowest it seems of any recording I know of on certain pipe organ notes that may or may not be audible depending on the rig setup.

I also have some older E. Power Biggs recordings on vinyl that are decent tests as well, but only if ones phono rig is up to it.

20hz is the lowest frequency spec one tends to ever see referenced in audio gear over the years. I have never really considered anything below that to be of significance musically, at least on a recording. Usually anything below that on a recording tends to be noise and not music, especially with vinyl, and might be best filtered out so as not to drain power that would be available for the music otherwise.
Frankly, I would not want to reproduce anything below 20hz with a 180 w/ch amp in that it will run out of steam fast reproducing anything at that frequency.

Larger, fairly high efficiency speakers would likely be needed to do anything below 20hz if present justice at high volumes with "only" 180 w/ch.

One lives dangerously in general below 20hz which is why it is usually off limits for most all recordings and playback systems.
Hi Mapman,
I have been many times to organ recitals where 32-ft pipes were in play. The impact of hearing such bass I find to be very satisfying - "awesome" in the true sense of the word. It is that completeness that I wish to attain. I figure 16Hz should do it.

By the way, there are organs with 64-ft (8Hz), even 128-ft pipes (4 Hz!) - but I don't wish to destroy my house even if such achievement were possible. 8-)
Coot,

Pipe organ music lovers are almost always prime candidates for bigger drivers and more power than most. Powered subs may not be the only way, but probably the most expedient way in most all cases, including OHM.

Just remember that recordings are recordings, not live events. I would not expect much if any music in most recordings below 20hz. The Jean Guillou recording I mentioned above is the one I know that might have the best chance.

Maybe Martykl has that or another recording with music he can measure with his gear down that low. I might have a test CD or test record around still with a 20hz test tone. Or there are tone generator apps on internet and computers that could work with the right connection to assess system performance at the lowest frequencies.

It can be done. Where there is a will (and budget) there is a way....

Good luck.
The least expensive way to assure flat 20hz response that I know of would be a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system (+/- $500 new, if available) coupled with the appropriate subs of your choice ($1k for a pair of SVS 12" sealed subs would probably do the trick. The SMS-1 is kind of a PITA, but it allows parametric EQ down to 15hz (IIRC) with a basic RTA function that allows the user to (maddeningly slowly) adjust FR for flat response down to that frequency. It has an auto EQ function, but IME it's nearly useless. I'd also note that the high cut function is quite limited in flexibility, but I always managed to successfully work with it when I had the SMS-1 in my system.

It ain't perfect, but with the right subs, manual EQ with an SMS-1 will get you flat to <20hz.