Buying large audio equipment

Hey Guys,

After purchasing some sweet Polk audio tweeters from Amazon, I'm now one step away from completing our "home theatre" system. Only thing left is a nice woofer but as I was about to get it from Amazon, I literally removed it from the cart. The only thing that's holding me back is the size.

I don't purchase large electronics online. Just because of safety reasons and the annoyance that may come with returning or exchange the product etc.  I trust Amazon and love how they release an invoice right away but still . . .

Have you guys ever bought any large audio equipment online. Is it a safe bet? Or am I better off just walking into a BestBuy, etc.
jumperboy
I bought a 6K McIntosh preamp and a 6.5K McIntosh integrated online.  Over 100 pounds each with no worries or problems.
Good to hear Stereo5 - I guess it's time for me to be more trustworthy of all this online hoopla. Thanks for sharing! PS: Nice pre-amp! A bit out of my budget but yeah. Good for you :)
If the item ships from the manufacturer - or the Amazon warehouse, then all should be ok.   If it ships from a private party, I’d pass - unless they prove that they have the original packing materials.  Double-boxing is a good thing.  There are many horror stories of shipping damage.
Just look it over top-to-bottom when it arrives. If there is obvious damage, simply refuse delivery and make drive note on receipt.
Also, all Amazon items are returnable if D.O.A., I believe...
There's no reason to worry about a purchase and shipping from a manufacturer or dealer. After all, their reputation is on the line.
   When buying from a private seller you need to do your due diligence. I bought a pair of used floorstanders based on the seller's feedback.

BYW, most audio components sold thru Amazon are actually coming from third party sellers, some of them very well known such as Audio Advisor.