Dennis Had Inspire amps and preamps.

Recently acquired a lightly used LP27a and a SEP Firebottle HO amp after a recent dip into SET/SEP-dom.  I liked them enough to order a new LP3a preamp from the "auction site."  Hand-made in USA by an arguable hifi "legend" at, imo, comparably reasonable prices.

These pop up from time to time in various A-gon discussions.  I know there is an unwieldy and lengthy discussion on another site, but thought would try to open up a fresh one, here.

Curious about (good or bad) experiences, listening impressions, tube-rolling, mods/upgrades, speaker/gear pairings/synergies, etc.

Right now, I have the Firebottle with Omega 3 HOs, and am enjoying the result.  One immediate question would be what tubes can be used in the Firebottle and in the output tube in the LP27a.  I bought them used.  I have an inquiry to Mr. Had on that, but maybe others have first hand experience on what works well?  For example, the LP27a came with a 6sn7, but I've read that others have been able to use 6sl7 and even 6bx7 in that spot.

Thank you.

stfoth

By all accounts the Tonian Labs Classic 12.1 is a superb sounding  speaker that utilized the famed Phy 12" driver. It is said to produce fantastic tone and timbre, very natural sound quality. This a 97 db sensitive 16 ohm load impedance speaker. The French builder of the Phy drivers died a few years ago but I believe the driver is still currently in production.

Charles

Reviving a thread...does Dennis have a website or a phone contact for his amps?  Thanks in advance!

Jw in MN 
would agree with Wolf; I like the KT88s better than the 150s, and the PSVANE gray glass KT88s above all the others.

For rectifiers, the VANE HIFI grade 5U4G is my favorite. also rolled VT229 KenRad and Sylvania chrome tops in the input stage, but settled on Shuguang nature sound big bottle as the most preferred. well defined image.
no matter what outputs I have tried though still get some dynamics compression compared to push pull KT88s. but overall a really nice amp.....
You have to post an Ebay message to Dennis and hope for a response.
My fave tube by far for the Firebottle is the Gold Lion reissue KT77. MUCH better sounding than the JJs for some reason...in fact the JJs put me off 77s until I read enough about the Lions to give 'em a shot. Great sounding tube in that amp. I (mostly) got rid of a weird low level hum (only in my RELs when cranked up much further than when in use) when swapping out a 5U4g for the 274B rectifier. Raymonda's experience with the older model Klipsch Heresy is interesting, but very different from my experience with Heresy IIIs...improved in 2006 with titanium drivers and a new 12...these speaker are magnificent sounding, with zero fatigue smooth treble, amazing soundstaging, and I have 2 RELs to cover the 58hz bass rolloff. Simply a well sorted coherent speaker that really sings, and 99db efficiency makes my little Had amp work like its supposed to, with no tendency to run out of gas.