Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Dan ,
First watt SS, 300b SET and class D. Different flavors for your Tannoys, I'm sure you're having a ball.😃😃
Charles,
Rebbi, I spent a little while looking at the photo of the underside of the chassis of your build, which you provided on the "Finishing Touches" page of your blog, looking for anything amiss that might account for the problem.

Although it's hard to tell from the photo, the one thing I question is the value of the 3.3K resistors which connect to the grids of each of the 300B's. I can't reconcile the color code bands appearing on the resistors in the photo with that value. The band that appears to be gold in color, at the end of each resistor closest to the top of the photo, would correspond to the +/- tolerance, which is unimportant. Reading the other bands upwards from the bottom, though, I would expect to most likely see orange-orange-black-brown, or (less likely) just three bands colored orange-orange-red. It appears, though, that the band just below the tolerance band is black, which would correspond to a much lower resistance value.

If the resistor value is much lower than the 3.3K the design calls for, it could very well account for the symptoms you've described, due to a lack of what is called "grid stopping". (See especially the paragraph near the bottom which begins with "The main reason for limiting grid-current is to reduce blocking distortion").

Also, regarding the possibility of a defective tube, fwiw I'll mention that based on a look at the schematic it appears that the only tubes which can affect both channels are the 6SN7 input tube, and the 5U4/274B rectifier.

Best regards,
-- Al
Almarg,
Can you be more specific where in the photo you are looking? Is this on the hard wired TAG strip or elsewhere?
Thanks!!
Yes, the two green colored resistors going from the TAG strip to each of the 300B sockets.

-- Al
Oh, well. I just found the more detailed photos here, in which the resistors can clearly be seen to be correct (orange-orange-black-brown).

Strange that they look so different in the less detailed photo.

Never mind :-)

Best regards,
-- Al