Should I bother to try a subwoofer?

My speakers are listed as going down to 40 HZ (Dynaudio 1.3 MkII monitors).
There is an REL Strata III available locally that I might snag, try out and re-sell if I don't like/need it. My question is this: since I would not be using this for movies, do I even need this? I mostly listen to classical music, more chamber than symphonic, and occasionally listen to rock, jazz and other pop styles.

Am I likely missing something without that lowest octave? I'm thinking that 99% of the time the sub might not even be in use if it kicks in at 40 Hz.

Any comments, purely theoretical or from experience, will be welcome.
128x128tostadosunidos
Aplomb! Has anybody named an adjustment knob "aplomb" yet? That is also a great name for an audio company or product.

I have this little corner thing going on that reinforces the REL amazingly. My system is tweeked (for "active" listening anyway) to my listening spot only, as standing waves and other bass reinforcement elsewhere in the room go bananas, as well they should.
Tostado,

I understand the finances.

That said, I do want to make it clear that I wasn't being sarcastic in acknowledging that your extensive musical training better equips you for the task I was describing. I've become much more attuned (pardon the pun) to pitch subtleties since I started studying guitar a few years back. However, I was trying to point out the difficulty inherent there for anyone undertaking the job.

Suffice it to say that - should you ever have the opportunity to add RTA and /or x-over flexibility and/or DRC down the road - you will likely be surprised at just how much improvement you'll get out of your existing sub/speakers.

Good Luck

Marty
Interesting that JL Audio is not mentioned in this thread. The OP went with REL and is happy, congrats. No doubt REL produces a fine sub, but for anyone else considering (Mapman?) adding a sub to a fine pair of monitors: (1) absolutly do it, for all the reasons mentioned above (particularly Teajay and Grannyrig), and (2) audition JL Audio. I recently added an F112 and the expansion of air/soundstage/tone is amazing. It transformed the entire sonic spectrum by enveloping it in an expansive, yet tight and tuneful foundation. Get it dialed in right, set it, forget it, and enjoy it.
JL has limited hookup options, especially compared to the Rel's. JL's are great subs, but you really need a certain set up to use them. Also, they do not allow for mulitple input signals as the Rel does. If you have Rel's you can put your LFE signal into one input from your HT processor, and the Speakeron connection from a dedicated 2 channel preamp, and it will work with both signals, the JL will not do that.
Also, the F112 mentioned costs far more than my mid-fi budget allows. I paid 425 + tax for the used REL.