CDP Upgrade

I'm thinking of upgrading my source and my wife has given me permission! I currently have the Rotel 1072, which is fine. I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding an upgrade and what I can expect by upgrading.

I'm considering the Cary 308T. But am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
hammergjh
For $2500, be sure you hear the Arcam FMJ CD 33 or 36. This is my personal favorite in the price range.
I'm looking for that analog-like, digititus free sound. But without the hassles of vinyl. Warm and smooth, glare free with silent backrounds and no sibilance. That's why I'm thinking of the Cary players, tube output stages should eliminate these issues, I'm told.

I listen to modern and classic rock, but most of my listening is to jazz.
Have you checked out the TRL Marantz SA-14 thread out? I believe this CDP does exactly what you describe you needs are. With mods it will cost about $1800 total.

I do not have the TRL Marantz SA-14, but TRL has modified my transport and DAC and I can tell you it is very close to analog reproduction and certainly free of digititis. They modify other players as well so their experience is very broad as it relates to digital equipment.
I am following this thread with some interest as I, too, have the Rotel RCD-1072 and hope to upgrade it to ??? before too long.

As much as I would like to try out separates (DAC + transport) I really don't have room to add yet another component, so am looking for an all-in-one CD player.

Have you made any decisions, Hammergjh? I am looking for the same sort of sound you are, so your choice/s may help to steer me in a similar direction!

Holly
Well, I'm intrigued by the Cary 303/300. Stereophile just did a write up. They liked it, pretty much. Very flexible, tube or SS output stages, plus multiple upsampling combinations.

I might just plunge in for a used one. A little risky. I'm waiting for my yearly bonus to come through (next couple of weeks).