Bargain Priced SACD Giant Killer?

I think my SCD-1 is very good and beautifully made, but at the end of the day, I am listening to digital less and less, other than from my PC.

So I am thinking about recycling some of its resale value into a turntable, and building up a WAF file music server.

If I were to sell my SCD-1, is there anything that will give me 75% + of the sound on a budget, albeit without the gorgeous build quality?
cwlondon
Bob,

The player was used with a Bruce Moore amp and preamp, as well as VMPS speakers. A $12,000 player that will remain un-named was also used in that set-up. I spoke to 4 people (3 of them in the industry) who were in that room and the news I received was that the TRL Sony was a giant killer. The word most utilized to describe it was "musical". I heard the line to get in the room was pretty long. Mine is on its way to TRL right now. I can't wait to hear it.

You can email me if you like.
Clio,
Have you heard the machine on SACD? I only heard it on redbook and it was very good. Bob
Bob,

I don't do SACD and I haven't listened to the stock redbook play back. I'll probbaly get my modded unit back in a couple of weeks and will post my thoughts then in a separate thread.
I have heard the TRL Sony 900, but have been having some trouble with my amp so did not get to listen to it a long time.
It is very very good from a short audition.
Will have things back to normal pretty soon and will give it a longer listen then.
Cwlondon, I don't know what to make of your statement that you are listening less to digital now and mainly from your PC. Is it because you only are listening to your PC that you are now listening less to digital? If so, stop doing that.

While the Sony SCD-1 has retained much of its value as modifiers covet it, you are probably talking about a far less expensive universal player as some have suggested. I don't think you will accomplish your goal with a $1000 sacd player. But if you like your pc playback, just sell the SCD-1 and your sacds and enjoy. I suspect that putting pcm on hard drives will be the wave of the future anyway.