Exceptional value in speakers today?

I'm looking for "sleeper" speaker companies - brands that aren't well known and offer exceptional value.

For years I have been a fan of ACI speakers - the company only sold direct, didn't advertise, but their speakers were consistently compared favorably with speakers costing many times more - in both "professional" reviews and end user reviews.

I am fortunate to have some of their speakers, as the company is no more. Which leads me to my question - there must be a similar company (or several) doing something similar today. Since these tend to be small companies that don't advertise, I thought I'd ask here for some pointers. The big guys are easy to find...

Thanks in advance.

(BTW - my current shopping list is for a pair of monitor speakers for a recording studio. I'm looking for un-powered speakers of exceptional quality (and at a price point <$1k). I need speakers that are good at revealing any flaws in the mix. I already have some high end professional near field monitors (Genelec) and am looking to augment those).
mark_scrivener
EBM, which of those you mentioned are selling for less than 1k as the OP stated for his price range? If you know of any, please let me know where I can get them. To the OP, a used pair of Revel M20s should come in under your budget and would likely suit your needs.
I'm a bit skeptical about giant killer speakers just because I can also listen to a more modest system and be impressed and find it enjoyable. I have a HT system composed of mid-fi speakers from a brand that sells both mid-fi and high end. I can put a CD in the blu-ray player and enjoy the music. It sounds great. So why do I hang on to my costly stereo system? Simple, the sound and the detail are way beyond the next level. I lived without my good stereo system for a couple of years while in Europe. I used a mid-fi system and really was thinking about selling it all (the hi-fi) when I got back, but then I listened to it when I got home and was hooked all over again. The music is just too liquid and the detail so engaging. More modest systems are fine for a while but I get bored with them in a short period of time. I wouldn't buy a speaker without hearing it first. I also lean towards professional reviews only because the reviewers have the experience of hearing so many brands and types and can quickly pick up on the cues separating the great speakers from the good ones. One last comment: The law of diminishing returns. The cost goes up quickly for smaller and smaller gains in sound. More discerning listeners with the means are rewarded with the highest standards obtainable.