Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
I recently modded a couple Playstation 1 Model SCPH-5501 units. In comparison to stock Model SCPH-1001, stock Model SCPH-5501 does not have the built-in RCA jacks--only the AV Multi-Out port. It does share the same AKM DAC and clocking system, and a much improved laser unit that is optimally positioned away from the power supply circuit board. In essence, the digital half of the playback circuitries are identical between both models. In modding this unit, I removed the DC blocking capacitors and muting transistors and installed the identical output stage as I did with modding Model SCPH-1001. For audio output connectors, I used Vampire CM1F RCA connectors. I also upgraded the power supply caps as I have done in previous Playstation mods.

So how does it sound? It sounds a bit better than my modded Model SCPH-1001, which I really like. I think the added detail, clarity and soundstage improvements come from using the Vampire RCA connectors. The laser unit operates more smoothly. In fact, the laser unit is self-calibrating, so it tracks much better than the laser units used in Model SCPH-1001. Better yet, these models are more readily available and at lower resale prices than Model SCPH-1001. In the world of Playstations as hi-fi CD players, this is the real sleeper.
I've got the bug now.
I stripped out the caps in the P Supply and replaced them with correct voltage but slightly higher capacitance new ones.
Put it all in a Maplins cast alu box, extended the power carrying cables and made it with an IEC mains socket instead of the awful figure of 8.
It's better again - the SMPS must interfere a lot - as everyone says it does. Blimey.
The bigger caps must give it more headroom too.
I'm also going to change the capacitors that smooth out the power to the DAC and see what happens.
I saw a pic of someone who has done it and so - I will too !!
The ultimate has to be Oscons or Black gates but that type of investment can wait until I get the urge to re case the whole thing.
I'm guessing that a nice wood box and rigidly mounted transport and loads of mass will change it again.
Has anyone actually done it yet and noticed any improvement?
Still loving it but I guess it's not really a PS 1 anymore.
It's more like a CD player DIY Kit comprising transport / laser, Dac and power supply.
What the hell, I still havn't spent £ 35 !
Now that is worrying.
Andysolder,

I have found with "super" mods, one has to be careful not to completely change the sound signature of the original Playstation. Otherwise, it loses a bit of that Playstation "magic" that a lot of people find alluring. It does come down to personal preferences how far to go with the mods.

My recommendation would be to start with Model SCPH-5501 as it has the improved laser unit compared Model SCPH-1001. At the same time, it shares the same AKM4309 DAC as Model SCPH-1001. Your thinking that an improved suspension would be a welcome upgrade since the stock Playstation is suspectible to skipping with the slightest bump or vibration.

Rich
If i have PS1...SCHP-100X...do i need the controller?

Please advise.Thanks.pescolar