How to fix my detailed, accurate but BRIGHT system

Hi everyone, I need help. I like my system in that the base is tight, it has good detail, it's dead quiet and it plays well at higher volumes. What I don't like is the mids and highs are way to forward and the system is lacking warmth. I don't feel my system is very musical or engaging. I'd rather not replace my amp and speakers as I think they are a good match and I don't think I can use a tube amp as these speakers are hungry. I have a large room 22'x38' with a 17' ceiling. I have a lot of glass and all tile floors. Room treatment is not an option as this is our main living space. Should I try a tube DAC, Tube Pre., tube Buffer? How do I warm up the sound I'm getting? My system consists of the following.

Rowland Capri Pre.
Butler 2250 SS/Tube amp
PS Audio Digilink 3 Dac with stage 3 mod.
Aerial 7B speakers
Integra DPS-6.7 DVD/SACD
Wadia 170i (files in lossless)

Thank You in advance for your input!
gregfisk
08-08-09: Gregfisk
...if I add another 2250 this would give me better tonal balance?
No, the tonal balance would remain the same.

Or, do I get a different pair of speakers?
Not necessarily. However, if you do get a different set of speakers, you should find some that have a flatter impedance curve if you intend to keep the Butler 2250.

Look, the proof is in the listening. We all can debate here for days and days. It's very easy to test my theory of improving tonal balance using an amplifier that doubles power as impedance is halved. All that is required is for you to buy one of several amplifiers (that double power as impedance is halved), that are available with 30 day home trials. Try the amp and listen for better tonal balance. If you hear improvements, then you know you're headed in the right direction. You can always return the amp for a refund and look for another amp with similar power output capabilities.

A few possibilities: Wyred 4 Sound ST Series, Ice H2O Audio S250 (or its monoblock cousin), Bel Canto Reference S500 (or its monoblock cousin), Pass Labs XA-.5 series, Portal Audio Panache.

It's really a no-lose proposition.
Al,

I cross-posted with you, so I hadn't read your post, before I posted.

Are you saying that an erratic electrical speaker impedance curve doesn't actually present a more difficult load to the amplifier in this case, because it's still within the acceptable limits of the amplifiers current delivering ability, and there won't be a problem with a frequency db imbalance, unless the curve dips far enough below the amplifiers minimal impedance, lets say 2 ohms?

Rich

Hi Rich,

That is sort of what I am saying, but I would put it a little differently. As long as the output impedance of the amplifier is small compared to the impedance of the speaker at the lowest point of its impedance vs. frequency curve, and as long as the amplifier is not called upon to deliver more current than it is capable of delivering, then a tonal imbalance will not result.

The fact that an amplifier can double its output power into 4 ohms, compared to 8 ohms, is an indication that it has good output current capability. In this case, the fact that the amplifier can put 250W into 8 ohms but only 400W into 4 ohms, is an indication that its output is being limited into 4 ohms by its output current capability, and therefore the peak volume levels it can produce accurately into a speaker which dips to 4 ohms will be less than for a more benign speaker load (everything else being equal). But as long as the output current capability of the amplifier is not exceeded (and keep in mind that we are presumably talking here about tonal balance at moderate volumes), and as long as the output impedance of the amplifier is low, no frequency response imbalance will result.

A notable exception to all of this would be amplifiers which have tube output stages and are output-transformerless, such as the Atmasphere's, which may have an output impedance in the vicinity of 4 ohms or more. That would definitely result in a tonal imbalance working into a speaker that is basically 4 ohms in the bass and 8 ohms in the treble (see Stereophile's impedance measurements on the Aerial 7B). I recall Tvad once mentioning that he had an Atmasphere at one point, and perhaps that is what prompted his comment.

Regards,
-- Al
I'm in total agreement with BlindJim. Often enough, it's not the gear but how it's setup.
I recall Tvad once mentioning that he had an Atmasphere at one point, and perhaps that is what prompted his comment.

Regards,
-- Al
Almarg (Answers)
No. Not in the case of the Aerial 7B loudspeakers.

For more info regarding the concept I am trying unsuccessfully to describe, I refer those interested to chapters 6 and 15 of Robert Harley's "The Complete Guide to High End Audio".

So, here you have a list of solutions to your problem from many intelligent and well intentioned contributors that includes:

Room treatments
Speaker set-up
Changing source components
Changing preamp
Changing amplifier
Changing wire

The truth is that the solution is likely a combination of the above.

Isn’t high end audio fun?!

Did you say Changing Wire or Changing Wife?

You know one letter could make all of the difference in sound quality! (LOL)

Only Kidding!

Thanks for the explanation Al, but I need to read up more about this subject, so I think I'm going to get Robert Harley's book and some others that I've heard about here, because I would certainly like to understand electrical impedance mismatches better.

Rich