AMR / EMM / PLAYBACK Designs

Concerning: AMR CD-77 / EMM Labs XDS1 / PLAYBACK Designs MPS-5 Reference.

Have any of you would listen he compares and prefer one of its 3 Digital CD Player if so what is Better musically and also which is better aesthetics and manufacturing the finest components exts drive ...
Thank you let me know if the playback designs is manufactured in the USA? if so by what company manufactured it is name and email address.
Infinitely thank you to all
rilou

Dear Radio Head, you missed the point, the fact that the reviewer bought the unit, doesn't mean necessarily that he is buying it just because the sound is good, bad or indifferent.

The problem with reviewers is they don't play by the same rules which dealers or consumers play in.

Lets say the reviewer was offered the piece at $5K he could use the piece and then sell it discreetly and make $5k.

Or he may have purchased it as it has USB while the Esoteric does not and he may be interested in really evaluating computer audio.

My point is you can never know a reviewers agenda or complete reasons for doing things unless you can crawl up into their head.

I too am an AMR dealer like Essential Audio is. The AMR is an amazing player which sounds like an analog source. I believe in the validity of this product and the design integrity which it represents.

The only way for this gentleman to make an accurate assessment is to hear the two players next to each other and then judge for himself.

In this industry to many of us fall into the technology trap that because you use whatever chip or magic circuit you will create great sound, a particular product may require you to change certain variables cables, footers etc before you make magic.

In my shop I have the AMR, Esoteric, Audio Aero, and I am getting a demo of the Chord QRB 76 DAC, all of these products employ completely different technology and offer different strengths and features.

I have my favorites in terms of sonics but a particular customer may still purchase a different front end depending on his or her particular ears and requirements.

If I was this gentleman I wouldn't make up my mind until I experienced both products in his own system, then and only then will he be able to really make a valid decision.
I purchased the Playback MPS-5 after comparing it with the EMM XDS1, EMM CDSA, dCS Puccini, Linn Akurate, Ayre C5XE-MP.

Sound quality was the most important factor but not the only consideration. It was more about bang for the buck, future upgradability, potential aftermarket resale value , etc.

My logic was as follows, which includes the value proposition and not pure no-compromise sound quality:

EMM XDS1 - Very similar sound to the MPS-5. My guess is Mr Koch designed it, so future algos/upgrades might be questionable. Top notch build quality (much better than the CDSA). Love the screen, transport, and the repeat button built on! Dislike input for music server can only handle 96/24. Very expensive @ $25k (I have to pay full retail here). Scatch off the list because of future upgradability concerns & price.

dCS Puccini without U-Clock: Had more "sparkle" in the sound I thought. Very balanced throughout the frequency range. Loved the fit & finish. Very holographic - best of the bunch I thought. Liked it more on classical music (is it the sparkle/holography? not sure) while I liked the PBD/EMM more on vocals & SACD playback. However, I'm uncomfortable buying a dCS product since they seem to upgrade frequently. Imagine the older(but not that old) multi-box units which you paid $50k+ and now worth maybe <$10k at most? Scratch off the list due to that reason alone. Plus I wanted a true 1 box solution and don't want to be urged in buying the U-Clock.

Linn Akurate: Most convenient for playing high-rez files. A bit more edgy in the highs & slightly less defined soundstage. Again, most convenient for playing high-rez files (its strongest point). Cheap compared to others.

Ayre C5XE-MP: Different sound especially contrasted vs EMM/PD. EMM/PD is fuller, Ayre is thinner. Not a fan of computer transports. Great value for the money though. I think it would be better mated with a different system than mine. I liked it more when I heard it on a Wilson/ARC setup. Scratch off the list because I'm going a different direction, not really because it's worse per say.

PBD MPS-5: True single box solution without having to worry about clocks. Loved the soundstage (wider/deeper), while the midrange was a bit fuller. Thought it sounded most at ease of the bunch. Future upgradeability also less of a concern since Mr Koch is now with PBD. I'm not sure about aftermarket value in 3-5 years, but it seems like with PBD's emphasis on upgradeability, they probably will not switch models every 2 years which just kills digital resale value. Best balance in terms of sound quality vs features. Wish it had a repeat button on the box!

My disclaimer is I'm an amateur and I've only been "churning gear" for 2 years, and that my system the way it is now is not as good/revealing as similar systems at the dealer/distributor which I've heard. I don't believe I was hearing the full strengths/weaknesses of each player when I auditioned them.

Cheers.
I agree that you have to let your ears heart brain wallet decide not a review by another

I still think what a reviewer buys is relevant because if flipping a product is the ulterior motive not playing it, this works for any of the units in question.
Besides, I assume these reviewers are credible unless proven otherwise. Why advertise you bought a particular unit if you plan to flip it in the near future. More likely you would quietly buy and sell.

To me writing in your review you bought the ite
means overall you were very impressed!

These are all impressive products so synergy and personal taste will probably be the biggest difference.
Enzo618 and Essentialaudio: I agree that reviews are but one tool in the tool-box. I typically will find reviews by a reviewer of a product which I have heard and know to be poor sounding (to my ears) in order to get a baseline of their tastes. Also I agree that nothing proves a product better than listining to the product in your sys with other products :)
Just a correction, I am the Dagogo reviewer who reviewed the Playback Designs. I did not purchase the unit. I returned it to the manufacturer with all shipping charges paid by me. The manufacturer in question was a perfect gentleman and put absolutely no pressure on me to buy the unit or to write a favorable review. The PD is an excellent unit, particularly at its price point, but it will not suit every taste or even every system. I should also say that my editor did not pressure me to write a favorable review, only one that was balanced and honest.