Which makes more sense? - CD player vs SACD

Hi, I'm building a 2-channel hifi sysstem around my pair of Harbeth P7ES3. Now I'm using a very modest Philips CD player from 14 years ago.

I intend to upgrade my source in the near future - either a CD or SACD player. FYI, I have a collection of about 70 CDs and don't have any SACD of LPs. BTW, I do plan to get into the turntable in the future.

But I figure I'll need to get a decent CD/SACD player before I get into turntable.

What're your thoughts? Any good sounding CD or SACD player around $1K - new or used, that you can recommend?

Thanks.
r0817
It really depends on your budget.

I think on one extreme, the no compromise SACD players would play CDs just as well as a standalone unit of comparable price but sound even better with SACDs. Think Playback Designs, EMM Labs and dCS.

But on a low end, you could find a dedicated CD only player sound better than a combo SACD/CD player of the same price.

If your budget can stretch to an Oppo 95 and you have plans eventually for a multichannel system, that's the unit I would get first.

I think a good 5.1 track is tremendously great fun not just for SACDs but DVDAs and also BR titles, plus you get to buy some DVD Audio discs for a reasonable price than some OOP SACD titles. Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here has just been released on BR and SACD.

While I have a stereo only SACD player (XDS1), there are times when the 5.1 tracks just sound more enveloping.

Just be prepared to spend on many OOP titles as well as Japanese only pressings (not that cheap). Hoping to get my Oscar Peterson Trio SHM SACDs and Tubular Bells before Christmas! :)
I second Cmalak on the Marantz SA8004. It sounds excellent for SACD, CD, and streaming Logitech Touch FLAC. It is the digital swiss army knife. I have found no shortcomings with it sonically speaking. I can't wait until I can get a chance to listen more! I have not felt that way about my system in a long long time.

I have about 40 SACD's for now. I was in to the music sever thing for a long time...never seemed right to me, despite several dacs, mac mini, etc...just way to much fussing around. I still use the touch but SACD and redbook sounds so right I can't pull myself away.
sACD is not moribund. I have been buying quite a few classical and jazz pieces, and there is rock available. I find the sacd layer to be superior to or equal to the cd layer on hybrid disks, and many high end dealers will use sacd or hi rez digital for demos.

As for vinyl you will have to pay several times the price of the marantz or oppo unit that have been reccomended. I find it hard to justify both sources if you are just getting back into this hobby. For the 5g's plus you will spend on a TT, arm, cartridge and phono pre, you can buy a lot of music!
check out oppo bdp 95; best of both, even three worlds if you would integrate blueray/
Personally, I think you should scrap the cd and sacd thing and go with your choice of music server and DAC. This can certainly sound better than redbook cd from all but the most expensive players, and you can't beat the convenience and fun factor. Not to mention that it is the future of what we do.

Shakey