Which cartridge is the Imaging/soundstaging champ

Hello all:
I'm a new participant in these forums, though I've read virtually every post for the last 18 months. I'm a new owner of a Scoutmaster/JMW 9.
I got a Grado Statement Sonata as a starter cartridge(also using the VPI 3 gm headshell weight), and feel like I've gotten it set up pretty wel(VTA/VTF/SRA seem as good as I can get them). I have a nice high resolution system but can't seem to create an outrageously terriffic soundstage with pinpoint imaging like my digital front end can. I really can only listen to SOTA digital recordings at this point as my analog front end is just so superior overall. I do miss the excellent imaging and stage specificity though. I'm using the Cardas Neutral Reference phono cable into my EAR 864 preamp (with wonderful Mullard NOS tubes).
I feel the Grado is the culprit. What do you think? Which cartridge in the $750-$1500 range would be the imaging champ?
Thanks for your help.
Jim
jdolgin
In a different vein, I noticed when I upgraded from the JMW9 tonearm to the JMW9 Signature on my Scoutmaster, that the stability of the imaging, the width and depth of soundstage and the weight and substance of instruments and vocals improved significantly -- it was an obvious difference that was immediately noticeable. It was one of the best $700 upgrades (if not THE best $700 upgrade) I have ever invested in. You may want to consider that upgrade as well as experimenting with cartridges.

Have fun exploring!
Qdrone:
My system has evolved over many years. the speaker positioning, room treatment have all been tweaked to the max. The same electronics, cables speakers image
beautifully with good cd and sacd recordings. It's just the analog source that is deficient in soundstage/image placement and specificity.
My current cartridge is the Grado statement sonata mentioned in my original posting.It's a low output moving iron.
The soundstaging issue crosses all musical genre. The tonal balance of the system is good to excellent overall.
I had a Grado Statement on an Aries JMW-10 which I liked a lot. I moved on to a ZYX Airy 3S-SB and the difference was quite something to behold. The ZYX has a lot more to offer on all musical fronts.......... It does all of the audiophile things: sounstaging, imaging, etc., but above all it is always musical.......... I always enjoy my records with this cartridge.

Hope this helps

Chris
Its a combination of the cartridge and the phono stage, not just one, but the key lies in speaker choice & positioning.

All else being equal, if you are comparing between digital and analogue, then you're probably listening to the wrong format if you are searching for soundstage as the key for your musical enjoyment.
you should try glueing a bar on the front off the cart like the grado longhorn. i've tried this on two cheap carts and was amazed by the improvement. more detail and much better soundstage! I use a three inch tube from a tv antenna and fill it with window sealer(doesn't dry up like plumbers putty). couldn't hurt to try and could save you a lot of money.