Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Hi Oregon,

I don't know where you live but if you go to SAKURA SYSTEMS on the net, they will take care of you. They are the N. American distributors as well as for 47 Labs. Also, if you live in N. America, they will deal with you directly. I have not tried it with a Denon 103 but JNantais loves that combo. AS for my arm,the other day I started bragging about how wonderful it is on this forum and ....I snapped the tonearm cable lowering VTA as I kept trying out different makeshift armboards on my makeshift/halfbuilt plinth. Ah guess ah jinxed me.
On another note, does anyone know where to find Rubber Renew and Cameo in Canada?
Thanks Tessera
Tessera,
I'm sorry to hear about the cable. Will it be necessary to send it to Sakura for repair? Let us know what happens-
can you fixit?
Can someone locally (in your area) fix it?
Must you send it to Sakura, is there a fee and how much?

It is important to know how the company treats its customers.
Thanks and good luck!
Tessera...
I got my Cameo at Home Hardware (Markham, Ontario area). Find 'em in the phone book and call ahead to make sure it's in stock... not every location had it on the day I went looking.

Happy polishing !
Grant
Hi Oregon,
Thanks for the condolences. I emailed Sakura Systems with my
problem with the broken arm wire. Yoshi the importer responded like lightning and advised that a new harness is
US 25 plus shipping. I should be able to do the replacement
myself. According to the instructions he wrote, I should be able to fit the tiny wires and solder them to their respective positions. A little dexterity is required and
CARE not damage the new harness as you install it back.
To me, the price seems very reasonable, seeing as this wire is impossible to find. I am ordering two, one for back up.
Also,I think not having to ship the arm is a bonus. I have gone back and forth with emails with Yoshi the last few days, and so far my impression is that he is a proffesional and gentleman.
Thanks Grant I'll check out Home Hardware for the CAMEO.
Tessera,
Good to hear. I would not trust MY soldering skills with the fine wires.
Keep us posted and good luck.
Oregon