cartridge Benz, Koestu, Lyra

I have a Scout with a Benz Glider H2 currently, running through a AR PH5 phono pre. I am looking to upgrade my cart. Would a Lyra Helikon be overkill and would I have a problem with anti skate? I have heard the Koetsu Black and loved the airiness. Would a Benz woodbody give me any of that air? It's really difficult to listen to diffrent carts, plus they are always on a diiferent rig. I am probably going to buy used.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Jeff
jdodmead
I disagree with Raul's statement on 01/07/07. Jeff's ARC PH5 is more than up to the task of providing excellent support for many top tier cartridges including the Lyra Helikon. My system includes an ARC PH5 and a Lyra Argo...both sound marvelous in my system, in my room. IMHO, I do not believe a phono preamp has to cost $8,000 to $10,000 to be considered "a very top rate phonolinepreamp".

But, Raul, during your next tour of Texas, you are more than welcome to bring your preamp by for a demo to prove me wrong. :-) I am a friend of Albert Porter's so maybe we could arrange a get together with a number of folks in the DFW area.
Dear Mcrheist: The price tell us almost nothing about the quality sound reproduction on almost any audio device.

The subject is not price but design and design fulfilment.

Do you think that the PH5 is in the same performance league that FM Acoustics, ASR or Dtarzeel ?.

Btw, it will be a pleasure to meet you and to meet your friends, please e-mail me.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hi Raul,

I have not had the good fortune to be able to audition or hear any of the phono preamps that you mention (FM Acoustics is represented by a local dealer that I do not purchase from; ASR nor darTZeel have local dealer representation, that I am aware of). Nor do any of my local audio friends own either of the three. But, of the phono preamps that I have heard, some of which cost up to 2 to 2.5 times more than the PH5, I can tell you that the PH5 is a worthy contender. A great bang for the buck. Now does it compete with an Aesthetix IO Signature MK2 Phono Stage w/ volume control (like Albert Porter owns, almost $12k retail), the best phono preamp that I have ever heard? Absolutely not. But, with the price differential, I never expected it to do so.

The point in all of this, to answer Jeff's original question: I have heard the PH5 with a Lyra Helikon (on several occasions) and it is not overkill to use this phono preamp with this particular cartridge. Or with the Lyra Argo, for that matter.

Sorry I missed you during your most recent travels to Texas. Maybe next time? And you are correct ... enjoy the music! :-)
I talked the Audio Research and was told that if I have a total of 70dB gain with the PH5 and my pre-amp, I will be fine. The PH has 57.5dB and my VTL has 20dB, so I should have plenty for the Koetsu Black(at least I hope so)
Regards
Jeff