cartridge Benz, Koestu, Lyra

I have a Scout with a Benz Glider H2 currently, running through a AR PH5 phono pre. I am looking to upgrade my cart. Would a Lyra Helikon be overkill and would I have a problem with anti skate? I have heard the Koetsu Black and loved the airiness. Would a Benz woodbody give me any of that air? It's really difficult to listen to diffrent carts, plus they are always on a diiferent rig. I am probably going to buy used.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Jeff
jdodmead
Hi Raul,

I have not had the good fortune to be able to audition or hear any of the phono preamps that you mention (FM Acoustics is represented by a local dealer that I do not purchase from; ASR nor darTZeel have local dealer representation, that I am aware of). Nor do any of my local audio friends own either of the three. But, of the phono preamps that I have heard, some of which cost up to 2 to 2.5 times more than the PH5, I can tell you that the PH5 is a worthy contender. A great bang for the buck. Now does it compete with an Aesthetix IO Signature MK2 Phono Stage w/ volume control (like Albert Porter owns, almost $12k retail), the best phono preamp that I have ever heard? Absolutely not. But, with the price differential, I never expected it to do so.

The point in all of this, to answer Jeff's original question: I have heard the PH5 with a Lyra Helikon (on several occasions) and it is not overkill to use this phono preamp with this particular cartridge. Or with the Lyra Argo, for that matter.

Sorry I missed you during your most recent travels to Texas. Maybe next time? And you are correct ... enjoy the music! :-)
I talked the Audio Research and was told that if I have a total of 70dB gain with the PH5 and my pre-amp, I will be fine. The PH has 57.5dB and my VTL has 20dB, so I should have plenty for the Koetsu Black(at least I hope so)
Regards
Jeff
I got the Black and at first I was dissapointed. All lot of it came from my set-up, which I have tweaked and it is breaking in nicely. Now I am plaesed with the sound and think I made a good choice in carts. I also doubt that it is fully broken in and look forward to hearing additional inmprovements.
I keep thinking now I can stop with the upgrading. I don;t see how that's possible. There are so many things out there that I want to try, carts, stages, turntables, speakers.......somebody stop me.