The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
I guess the best speaker I ever heard was way back in the 1970's; a pair of Crown ES-224's at an audio show in Dallas. Two cabinets, the lower housing two 10" woofers, the upper 24 electrostatic elements. They were so impressive.
I'd match my Watson-Labs Mk 10 speakers with anything. 17-22k and spacious, easy to drive - I love them.
Alec
Alec124c41, you're the first person I've run into also with Watson Labs Model 10s. Excellent in their day but no match for more modern speakers. The Dayton Wright XW-10 subwoofers for the XG-10 ESLs (also own this combo) are virtually identical to the WL Model 10 bass modules, incidentally. One of these days it might be interesting to fire up both sets of speakers and make comparisons.
with the diversity of opinions so far expressed, it is obvious that there is no best speaker.

i am surprised that anyone would assert that a particular speaker is better than any other speaker, at a given price point, when such a determination is so subjective.

we all have our favorite speaker, but none is the best.
Alec, long ago I owned the Watson Labs. I sold them to a guy in Dallas. Much before that I had the Dayton Wrights mentioned by Essentialaudio. I thought the Watsons were better but then again the Dayton Wrights were very hard to drive and solid state amps had improved by the time I got the Watsons.

I don't remember why I sold the Watsons, but I have not been very happy with any speakers I have owned.