The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Alec124c41, you're the first person I've run into also with Watson Labs Model 10s. Excellent in their day but no match for more modern speakers. The Dayton Wright XW-10 subwoofers for the XG-10 ESLs (also own this combo) are virtually identical to the WL Model 10 bass modules, incidentally. One of these days it might be interesting to fire up both sets of speakers and make comparisons.
with the diversity of opinions so far expressed, it is obvious that there is no best speaker.

i am surprised that anyone would assert that a particular speaker is better than any other speaker, at a given price point, when such a determination is so subjective.

we all have our favorite speaker, but none is the best.
Alec, long ago I owned the Watson Labs. I sold them to a guy in Dallas. Much before that I had the Dayton Wrights mentioned by Essentialaudio. I thought the Watsons were better but then again the Dayton Wrights were very hard to drive and solid state amps had improved by the time I got the Watsons.

I don't remember why I sold the Watsons, but I have not been very happy with any speakers I have owned.
Mr Tennis, obviously you didn't read the title of this thread, or maybe you forgot, after all this thread has been going on for a long time. The title is, just to remind you: "The best speakers you ever heard". That means Mr Tennis by definition that ALL the answers by the posters are correct, and are indeed the best speakers that the poster has heard PERIOD. So everyone is right, as opposed to everyone is wrong as you are trying to assert.

The best speakers I HAVE EVER HEARD are my Evolution Acoustic MM3's, I am not saying its the best speaker ever, nor better than speaker XYZ, but IT IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. And that Mr Tennis is a CORRECT answer to the title of this thread!
but I have not been very happy with any speakers I have owned.

Norm, that is a crying shame. i suppose we all have our own particular definition of 'happy'. i don't want to put words in your mouth.....so i would appreciate you expanding on your above comment.

you have tried every tweak out there; and more different pieces of gear than anyone else i know. why do you think you have not found speakers that make you happy?

too high of expectations?

room acoustics?

are you more interested in investigating performance of other areas?

i am not busting your chops here but your comment was concerning to me as i have lots of respect for your listening opinions.

btw, staying 'on-topic' i would say that who knows what speaker is 'best'. since best infers 'best in all contexts'....which is a silly idea. OTOH the best performance from a speaker i have heard is the Evolution Acoustics MM3's in my room over the last month or so. possibly lots of speakers might thrive in this environment too.....but that's another question. right now...this is amazing. they are completely coherent and holographic, flat to 10hz in my room, dynamically alive, nuanced and involving, supremely detailed, and effortless in their presentation. a window into the music.

and Norm....i am happy with my speakers.