What Vinyl quality should I be using?

Is there a recommended type of vinyl one should be playing on high end systems? I heard from someone just standard vinyl won't do good systems justice and could even be bad for them. Is this true?
nickclarson
The problem is that many of the best musical performances don't give you a choice as to format and quality. I know I'm not giving up the music I love just because some fancy "audiophile" version isn't available.

Further, ordinary music will not damage a high end system as long as the pressing is in presentable condition. Any system that is so delicate that it cannot play an ordinary recording isn't worth having.
thanks for the responses! I think what the person meant was that if it's an old not well taken care of vinyl it might damage the cartridge. Who knows I don't know much about it as I'm just getting in to this.

Again thanks for the responses!

One last question, can anybody show me a good cheap beginner analog set up or a good reference? With so many amps, speakers, tts, etc, it looks a little daunting to a beginner.

As far as a tt, i'd like to get a clear audio... but they seem very expensive. What's the average price I could pay for an entire set up?

Thanks a lot,
Nick
shoot can't edit my thread... I was going to add that if anything I could just get a nice headphone amp and a turntable. I already have some pretty good sounding headphones. Beyerdynamic dt770's

Anyway if anyone can help out that would be great!!

Nick
Hi-
I also am fairly new to this audiophile thing-although it has pretty much consumed my life for the past year or so. I recently got back into vinyl after not playing since my teenage years (70's). There are many threads with loads on info on entry level tt (turntables). I recently purchased a modded Technics 1210 M5G from Kevin at KABUSA that has all the bells and whistles with the performance of a hi end table at a reasonable price, around $1k for mine table and cart. I am very happy with the performance so far. There are volumes of threads on these tt along with those by Rega, MM, Perfection and many other fine tables that will grab you by the ear and drag you into this fine hobby. Good luck and welcome.
zen
Nick:

I got back into vinyl about 6-7 years ago and here is the path I followed, and some recommendations.

TT: I started with a Rega-25, found an old but mint Thorens, and ended with a Teres 265. What I have concluded from that journey is (your experience may vary), the Rega had about 90% of the musical quality of the Thorens, which had +/- 95% of the musical quality of the Teres. If I remember right, the Rega cost about $1,200 with arm & cartridge, and the current set-up with arm & cartridge is +/- $10K. Or, for $9,000 you get 5%. Don't get me wrong, for me, the $9K was worth every penny!

Phono Pre-amp: Same as above, starting with Rega, to Coif Nia, to EAR, to Herron. $100 to +/- $3,500 for 5 to 10%.

Cartridge: Same as above. $250 to +/- $3,800 for 40 to 50% increase in musical quality. This and the speakers, are the only up-grades to my system (for either vinyl or digital), that really made such a huge jump in the quality of the end product (the music).

Cables, tweaks, amps, pre-amps, etc: All, and I mean ALL, up-grades have followed the same path with the same result. With good quality entry level equipment you will get 90 to 95% of what you can get. Getting closer to the audiofool goal will cost you big bucks, but it is really alot of fun!

So, what does a terminally broke audiofool recommend?

First and most importantly, shop around, take your time, and buy used, good quality equipment. The prices for new equipment are not worth paying, for an audition.

Second, tailor your system to your environment. If you live in a house or apartment with anything but a concrete slab for a floor, you need to understand that a TT with a suspended platter (Thorens, etc) will be hard to set-up so that the needle doesn't jump every time someone walks across the floor. It can be done, but it takes stands, tweeks, etc, which translates into unexpected $$'s. The solid TT's are easier to set-up on a suspended floor and the musical quality has much more to do with the cartridge than the turntable design.

Third and last, the speakers, the cartridge, and the media are what you will hear. Spend your money there at the start and modify the stuff in-between later.

If you take your time and shop wisely, you can get a 90 to 95% system (which by the way, is pretty damn nice!) for not much money.

As far a the vinyl is concerned, just make sure it is clean.

Best regards,

Dave