Own a TW-Acustic Raven One?

Do you own a TW-Acustic Raven One? What are your impressions so far? What did it replace? How does it compare to the VPI tables; the Aries 3, SuperScoutMaster?
stickman451
I understand that TW-Acustic will be at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest; guess that I will get to hear one myself (if I can get through the crowd)!
Stickman451:
I guess I have the specific experience you seek. I had fully accessorized scoutmaster with the motor controller, center weight and ring clamp and the 9 signature arm. The VPI was very enjoyable, buy when I heard top shelf analog front ends like the Basis Debut, SME 30, Raven AC3, Walker I realized there was so much more music than I was hearing with my VPI. I upgraded to a Raven One
( couldn't spring for the extra $ for the AC) with a Graham Phantom and the difference was hard to believe!! The Raven was just so real in its' musical portrayal. It was the first time in my 30 years as an audiophile that any component accurately portrayed real instruments and voices as I heard them as a concert percussionist in my earlier years. It's not a matter of audiophile goodies (although they're there), but a true and authentic portrayal of the true essence of instrumental and vocal tonality, attack and decay of real notes and
timing and pace of authentic musical performance. A stunning achievement in a 5-6K table. I can assure you, the upgrade is the most musically significant change I've made. You can be most comfortable in the value of this table.
the biggest difference was in the density of the tones and bass foundation of the music. the vpi has a much lighter presentation and to me a bit analytical but some might prefer it. vpi has a broad dealer network and parts and service is likely readily available. there's probably a dealer in your home town. the same isn't true for the tw line but then again jeff catalano and tw have excellent customer service. the brass armboard is a worthwhile upgrade and i have changed the millenium feet with bdr cones so the stillpoint upgrade is likely worthwhile as well. with a phantom or other top flight arm you're looking at a $9k combination though.
Speaking from experience.
The differences between ANY VPI table and TW Acustic entry level Raven One are miles apart, performance wise and built quality.

What VPI do very well and are probably the only record player manufacture on the planet that succeed in this, is repeat business from their constant upgrade path.
Marketing genius.

There is a SHOCKING difference comparing a HRX to a Raven One....No contest.
First thing VPI need to do ,is get rid of the motors they use and especially the silly RUBBER DRIVE BELTS.
There are many other glaring problems with a table at this price point.
However I'm sure future upgrades may address these also.

Stickman ,If your serious about analogue play back, TW Acustics would be a great choice.
First thing VPI need to do ,is get rid of the motors they use and especially the silly RUBBER DRIVE BELTS.

Stiltskin,isn't the Raven One using a rubber belt as well? Can you run the Raven with strings or tape?

The issues of belts is a controversial one. Both the Raven AC I heard as well as my DPS use rubber belts. The DPS has a different drive system with a friction bearing, that puts a constant load on the rubber belt and removes some of the belt problems.

Otherwise, I agree with the above - I haven't heard a VPI that can touch either one (owned a Scout, heard Scoutmaster, Aries 3, HRX).