Anyone hear technics tt and vpi scoutmaster/Aries?

Anyone hear later version technics tt as well as vpi scoutmaster or Aries and maybe Nottingham spacedeck with latest ace space arm.

I have technics tt latest version with Benz ace cartridge and use for rock or soul or blues only and like it's bass slam. I prefer jazz on cd. I have dartzeel preamp and amp and wonder if vpi or spacedeck is worth the minimum 3k cost

Advantage of latest vpi scoutmaster versus spacedeck
radioheadokplayer
09-28-08: Radioheadokplayer
the question is whether the technics is a giant killer or close.
Clearly, by your recent posts, you are not satisfied with the Technics table or your Benz cartridge. There's nothing wrong with that. Several Audiogon members have replied in your threads that you will hear improvements with a different table/arm/cartridge combination.

There is no such thing as a giant killer in my experience having owned several of them. You either own a giant, or you own something less than a giant. The Technics, while excellent with KAB mods is less than a giant in the analog realm.

IMO.

Tvad, my speakers were below 30k especially with tradein.
Which model are they?

It is a very nice turntable.

A step or two above entry level.

Giant killer?

No way.
9-28-08: Audiofeil
It is a very nice turntable.

A step or two above entry level.
Audiofeil, I appreciate your objectivity on this. So much of the audiophile press and discussion pages dismiss the Technics SL12x0 series as DJ trash. It is not. Is is, as you say, "a very nice turntable." At $500-700 it delivers fair value with some strengths (speed consistency) and weaknesses (feedback and vibration control). It is easily competitive with the $400-700 belt drive 'tables from Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and even Rega.

The aftermarket tweaks for the Technics extract more performance at fair value for their cost. The Technics' wow, flutter, and rumble figures are in the ballpark of a $4K turntable, but that doesn't mean the entire package is competitive at that price point, especially with vendors like Galibier who can keep prices lower via internet-based mail order (a la Outlaw, AV123, etc.).
Tvad,

I own the evolution mm2 speakers which are sooo much better than the wilson wp7. The speakers are pretty popular but if you are really interested I could try to persuade Jonathan Tinn one of the evolution guys to give you a much better price than msrp

Johnnyb,

Maplethread m6 better than the Kab isonoe? What does the kab grip do?

No way wife will greenlight pricey vpi but could buy used scoutmaster or Aries and upgrade over time....just not sure if vpi without upgraded tonearm and platter will sound much better than technics in which case may prefer to hold on to technics until next year or yearafter and buy the vpi with the better arm platter ads blah blah blah