Rega P3-24 Vs VPI Scout.

With these tables being so very close in price... which is the better table? I listen to classic rock, alt, indy, a tiny bit of jazz. I also have B&W speakers(if that helps.) oh and this is my first turntable... Not really sure what is going on.

These tables are loved by almost everyone... I can't seem to put one above the other. PLEASE HELP!
craw13
A Technics! really?!

And you think the rega delivers a better sound even though its a "cheaper" build?

I think that I am currently leaning toward the VPI(seems like the better value)... However, I realize that I don't get the concept of the rega or scout being better at one type of music than the other...
Well, not just a Technics - a KAB mod'd Technics. Although the stock SL-1200 is shockingly good stock. With KABs tonearm rewire and the KAB fluid damper there's no question I'd choose it over either the Scout or Rega.

As far as one table working better for one genre versus another. No matter what you spend, analog is a game of compromises. The type of music is going to determine, in my opinion, what compromises are going to work best. Classical music is going to demand a very quiet background. Rock is going to demand PRAT and drive. Piano jazz, rock solid speed stability, etc. You get the point I'm sure.

The Rega has great PRAT and the Scout very black background and they both have pretty good speed stability for a belt drive in this price range. The reason I love the KAB SL-1200 is that I mostly listen to rock and jazz. The KAB has unbeatable speed stability - world class at this price point - and it has fantastic PRAT too. It's not quite as quiet as the Scout in my opinion but damn close.

Let me put it this way. I've owned Rega, VPI, JA Michell, Roksan, etc and I still have the KAB in my main system. I'm sure that there will be many who disagree but I'd give Kevin at KAB USA a call before I spent a dime.

Just my 2 cents!
I find that Americans equate material value with sound quality, and on those grounds, the VPI certainly is heavier and more..........well butch. But one must understand that the theory behind the Rega is that the less mass there is, the less mass there is to be excited by airborne and floorborne vibrations, not to mentions those generated internally by the main bearing and motor, and that those vibrations that do excite the structure will be evacuated as quickly as possible. High Q, as it were. In fact, as you move up the Rega line, the actual plinth gets lower and lower in mass. You pay for less, which is really counter intuitive for a culture raised on Cadillacs and 3000 square foot houses. But, no matter, this is a viable design goal that has much to offer in musical terms. I must admit, that I find the Technics a marvelous alternative to the Rega and VPI, that offers yet another set of strenghts and compromises.

But I'm still not saying which I prefer.
As insulting and naive as I find Viridian's comments, he is correct about Rega's engineering. They do take the "less is more" approach. However, there are varying effective routes to dealing with vibration - as is evidenced by the quite heavy Technics.

But, hey what do I know - I'm too busy filling up my 10,000 square foot McMansion and building a garage big enough to hold my fleet of Hummers.... yeah, right!

Man, I could go for a cheeseburger - haven't had one in a couple of hours.
Im a P3 owner. And if i would have paid the full price new i would be disapointed, but fortunately i got one used at a very good price. I say that because the P3 is very cheap in many way. BUT, what make the P3 so attractive is it's simplicity and ease to play music. The P3 is like an HOT ROD once customized you can get a very high performance TT for a real bargain.

I dont know for the VPI Scout but this one look very nice and the quality seem there. Price to price i would get the VPI without any esitation.

Or get a used P3 and mod it to get a killer TT for the same price.