Titan, Transfiguration Orpheus or Air Tight PC1??

There is no way I will get to demo all or any of these carts. My choices are limited to these carts as I can get a decent trade in for my Lyra Skala. The cart will be mounted on a Triplanar, the TT is a Michell Orbe and phono stage is a Nagra VPS. There is no earthly reason to contemplate an upgrade except.....??
Am extremely happy with the Lyra Skala. Listen to all musical genres from rock, blues, classical,jazz and Indian though the latter is not critical for the choice of cart given IMHO the somewhat limited dynamic range of most Indian music.
Would appreciate views/advice of A'goners who have experience of some or all of these carts.
Many thanks in advance.
128x128sunnyboy1956
At the Munich High-End 2008 show I had the rare opportunity to compare the Titan I vs. Skala in current Triplanars at the Spiral Groove booth on their record players, using the same phono stage. There was no other visistor, so I could listen with my own records for about an hour. I definitely preferred the Titan I, which had better timing and impact, to the Skala, which sounded a bit artificial in comparison. But be aware, that the Titan I is a bit less warm than the Skala. The Titan I was also more fun to listen to.

best regards, Hartmut
Hi Raul,

My comment on the PC1 is only related to matching with his phono stage. I have heard the PC1 sound alsolutely killer, but in friends system. (He was coming from a Koetsu Jade Platinum). I'd hardly call the PC 1 dry and analytical compared to his Koetsu. I have NOT heard the PC 1 in my system, so everyone needs to take this into account please. And others have direct experience, so that likely counts for more than my comments.

Sunnyboy, I think the phono stage matching should be a consideration-not a deciding factor (at least on this particular point). .5 to .6 isn't that big. Re: our Nagra VPS: I wouldn't say the tube only is superior-just falls along the solid state/tube typicial things. Tube only more beauty in the mids and a lil sweeter on top. The SS more bass control/slight more detail/lower noise.

My BAT pre and amp allow me to use both settings on my Nagra VPS. I do switch back on forth depending on the recording and my mood. If I HAD to pick only one, then I would pick tube only gain.

FYI, with digital my BAT preamp is at about 65 on it's volume scale, on the Nagra VPS SS, it's about 75-80, with the Nagra Tube section it's about 105-115. Max being about 125 and unity gain at 105. I'd any lower that Skala output (.5) forces me into SS only. .6mv easily let's me choose tube all the time.

Also, if you have not tried a Nagra VFS under your Nagra VPS, this might be the change you're looking for. Surprising increase in clarity, noise floor drops, and focus. Nothing goes backwards.

I have thought about wondering away from my Skala several times, my dealer always says NO. I am thinking about a Triplanar or a Graham Phantom II as my next upgrade/change.

I know this is confusing. And hard to make a decision...I will say the VFS is a no brainer...it's that good under your VPS.
Hifidaddy,

thanks for your comments. I've always wondered about the Titan i vs skala difference.

Did you get a chance to compare the spiral groove to other tables? keep hearing great things about that table also!
Dear Sunnyboy: I heard at least three problems with the PC1: both extremes and midbass. In all these frequeny ranges the PC1 is " cold " with a bad handle on the harmonics and too " sharp " , there is no music body and " air " on the overall presentation.

As I posted there are people that love it like Jfrech or MF/JV reviewers but like Syntax and Dgad there are people that think different because our priorities are different too.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
One should be mindful in all these exchanges about cartridge loading- whether that was done in the case of each system and experience where cartridges are compared. For example, if you were to listen to the PC1 you might think that it is cold and analytical, but this cartridge is very sensitive to loading and if the loading value is 47K, the above result will be your conclusion. Yet, loaded, the PC1 is quite involving and musical.

In fact the loading issue IMO/IME is so important that I would regard it as more important than the choice of cartridges in this thread! Is there any way to know in the previous posts how many cartridges were loaded at critical damping, how many were approximated, and how many were at the 'stock' 47K?? It would make this discussion more useful...