Trying to get in to vinyl, turntable suggestions?

Hello All,

After hearing some great analog setups I've got the itch. My Integra dtc 9.8 does have a phono input, but I plan to get a phono stage down the road, that I could connect to my Anthem Pre 2l SE.

In the meantime, any suggestions to get me started...I'm looking for a good turntable that could benefit down the road from upgrades as I get more money.

I'm hoping to spend less than 500 for the TT, and then willing to purchase a cartridge seperately if I have to.

I've read good things about thorens and the nad 533. What about the technics sl-1200? I'm looking to buy used for now.

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews Band, Pink Floyd, some Paul Simon..Jack Johnson..

Any thoughts?
I've linked my system below hopefully did it right..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1240167743&view
burnsy1
Don't overlook the Music Hall MMF 5/5.1 for an entry level setup. While it was a couple of hundred bucks cheaper not long ago, it's still a top contender within $750 either side of its asking price.....nice arm/cartridge included in the package although I'm told that upgrading the Goldring cart by one model number can give a considerable improvement.
I agree w/ Lgl about the MMF 5/5.1 based upon personal experience not as my first table but one I purchased new and owned for a about 1 1/2 years. Quite decent reproduction and it did not damage any of my vinyl from what I can tell. I upgraded the Goldring to one of the Grado carts and the sound quality was noticable but not necessary at the outset.

MMF 5/5.1s are built decently in China with good quality achievable as a used unit.
Johnnyb53, if my posts offended you in some way, I am truly sorry for that - I thought I made it pretty clear about when I was joking. If you disagree with what I posted about the sonic characteristics of these tables, why don't you try posting your reasons instead of attacking me personally by calling me a bigot? I fail to see how that contributes to either your argument or discussion on this forum in general, and am frankly very surprised your post was allowed. Let's just agree to disagree. If you can't have a civil discussion, then I have nothing more to say to you.
So its been a while...I'd hoped to have a TT by now but my home AC breaking delayed things a bit. I have an oppourtunity to check out a used music hall mmf 5 today.

Anything in particular I should pay close attention to when looking at this model?
Well I ended up getting the music hall mmf5 used. I'm really happy with it so far..anxious to get a phono stage now so I can put it though my Anthem pre 2l. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.