VIP, SOTA & Oracle Turntables

Can these turntables from the late 1980's and 1990's be upgraded to more recent standards? I am planning to purchase one of these turntables for use in my audio system. Since I can't afford to purchase new, my plan is to purchase a used turntable and arm for upgrade later when I have extra cash.

My present system consistes of the:

1. Threshold S/300
2. Classe DR-5 pre-amp
3. DAC
4. Parasound 2000 CD transport
5. Upgraded cables and interconnects
6. Mirage M-09 speakers to be upgraded to Maggies 1.6. I presently listen to CD's but really want to begin pulling our some of my classical and jazz albums. All advice will be welcomed. Thanks very much.
rbwinterlink
Sirspeedy.You truly are out on a limb working with out a net. I said something similar in my system post. Essentially some very expensive tt's with some very simple designs.
Sirspeedy, Vintage instruments are like vintage tts, only moreso. I have always wondered what audiophile product from what company caused you so much misery. As far as I can recall, you've kept it secret so far.
I agree with everyone who complimented SOTA on their customer relations and on the nice quality of their products. I will just relate my own experience regarding the "sound" of the Star Sapphire Series III, which was a table I owned about 8 years ago and for many years prior to that time. This is a Sapphire with a vacuum hold-down system. Plus I had purchased a Cosmos armboard for it. The Cosmos armboard takes advantage of constrained layer damping (CLD) with acrylic and aluminum layers. The point is that piano tones were always a little "shaky" or unstable with that tt. And the extreme low bass tones were a bit muddy. These traits were most noticed when I purchased a Nottingham Analog Hyperspace and was able to compare the two, using the very same tonearm and cartridge on both tables. In sum, I would not have gone back to the Star Sapphire after hearing the Hyperspace. I am not familiar first hand with the other products you are considering, but if you go Sota, I would suggest a Cosmos, Nova, or Millenia, rather than a Sapphire In those later products, I believe Sota addressed these sonic issues. Also, and Raul sort of alluded to this, your tonearm and cartridge are going to have most to do with the qualities of the sound you say you desire.
Whenever there is a thread on the Oracle I feel compelled to comment because this table just never seems to get the respect it deserves. I can't comment on the other models here, but I can compare the Oracle to other well known units.

One of the great aspects of the Oracle design is that its both timeless in terms of engineering design as well as its aesthetics. Any Oracle can be upgraded to the current V version for a reasonable $sum.

The Oracle has one disadvantage - it can only take a single 9" arm.

The Oracle V / Grandezza combo is as musical as my Micro-Seiki RX5000, SP 10 Mk2, Lenco, Linn, Victor TT-101, and a few others.

As always, it comes down to personal choice, but I can be clear that the Oracle is dynamic, clean, accurate and not colored at any particular frequency.

Unfortunately many people confuse clarity with coloration.

The Oracle V is as true to the source as anything out there and usually available at a much better price. The upgrade path keeps any unit current.

Steve